Female panther all white

My female panther chameleon is pure white. She's not shedding. She was looking normal earlier, but then I cleaned the cages. Is all white a stress color?

Thanks for the help. Sorry, I am having camera issues otherwise I'd post some pictures. I will post some soon, because I gotta show you guys the set up. I finally got my automatic misting system all running nice.

Thanks

Jeff B

Please provide answers to the following questions. It will help immensely. They will turn very pale when over heated, so that may be it. Hard to tell without a photo or more information. You may want to check her temps right now. Here are the questions:
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

What are your temps? When chams have too much heat they will turn white to block some of it off. When they need the heat they will turn darker to absorb it. This prob. isn't the cause but just sharing a cool fact.

I went to store to get batteries for the camera. When i returned she was back to her normal color. She looks great this morning, eating crickets and a hornworm and licking water off of the leaves. I will try to get a picture of her if she does it again.

I have 2 panther chameleons. A male and female. The male is 7 months old and the female is 9 months old. I have had them since August 12th. They female has shed twice and the male was shedding when i got him and has shed again. They have grown considerably since I got them.

My ambient temerature in the room runs from 78 - 85 degrees F just under the basking light it runs about 90

The cages are 24"wide by 24" deep by 48" tall. The cages are all screen with a front opening door and a plastic solid bottom. I have the two cages side by side on top of a table that makes the tops of the cages about a foot and a half from the ceiling. I put a piece of cardboard between the two cages so that the male and the female cannot see each other. Each cage sits inside of a washing machine plastic drip pan. I drilled holes in the solid bottom of the cage so excess water drips down into the drip pan.

Each cage has a good sized ficus in it that fills the entirety of the cage. I prune them periodically to make good climbing limbs.

There is a 4 foot 4 bulb fluorescent fixture that I have stretched across the tops of the two cages. I have two reptisun 5.0 bulbs and two full spectrum bulbs in the fixture. The fixture is suspended from ceiling and hangs about an inch from the top of the screen. I suspended a 75 watt basking light from the ceiling above each cage that is about 2 inches off the top of the screen. The lights are all on an electric timer and come on at 6:00 am and go out at 6:00 pm

For watering: I have a 55 gallon water container with screw on lid. I drilled a hole in the lid for a hose to run through. The hose goes down to a 4/10 hp pond pump. From the pump it goes to a 25 psi regulator and then up and over the tops of the cages where each cage has a misting nozzle screwed through it. I have the pump plugged into an electric timer that turns the pump on for 1 minute at 8:00 am 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm and for four minutes at noon. At any time after the first misting to the last you can find water droplets sitting on some of the ficus leaves. I messed with the programming to lengthen the noon time watering to four minutes and for some reason it didn't kick off. It misted for 45 minutes. Luckily it only put out about 5 gallons of water and I'm glad I tacked up the 10'X20' rolled plastic down the wall and under the table... The drip pans caught most of the water but there were a couple good puddles of water on the rolled plastic on the floor that woulda otherwise been on the carpet. That just happened while I was typing this. I thought I had better check on them and found the misters still going. Now after wet-dry vacuuming up all the mess I am back. lol. Quick question about my water barrel: I make the water up with tap and then treat it with start right to neutralize the chlorine. Do you think I have to worry about the water going stagnant? It's pretty well sealed but I supposed air could get in through the water lines when the pump isn't running. I am thinking I will just change the water when it gets about 3/4 empty. The worse water should be at the top right? The first fill has lasted about two weeks now and the barrel is still half full. The water doesn't look or smell bad.

Feeding: I put into the cages about 10 dusted crickets that have been gut loaded with flukers cricket feed and that flukers jelly stuff for hydration, about 4 times a week. I dust them with reptivite without d-3 three of those feedings and dust them with reptivite with d-3 once a month. I put 1 or 2 hornworms in the cage usually twice a week. I feed anywhere from 3-6 butterworms once a week. I will put 5-8 smaller silkworms in the cage once or twice a week. I offer them a super mealworm or two every couple weeks. I have several pupated hornworms and am waiting for them to eclose from their cacoons and hopefully mate. I really want to feed the moths after laying eggs to my chams, but I think the moths will be much too large yet. I will probably have to wait until my chams get larger.

The air vent is on the opposite side of the 12X13' room and I have it blocked off but a little air still gets through. The vent is by the window which I will open up for a few hours on nice days.

Their excrement is dark brown, soft, but all one piece, with a bright white goo at one end (sometimes the bright white isn't as bright, and I caught the male about a month ago have a real runny duke. Once the female had a little orange in hers, but that was a while ago also. Lately it has been pretty consistent.)

I handle the chams about once every 2 weeks or so.

Humidity ranges between 55% and 75%. I use an electronic hygrometer. It is highest after misting and lowest in the morning and between mistings
Thanks for the responses.

Jeff Bushaw
Vancouver, Washington

Jeff

Last edited:
It is likely she was too hot. The basking temp for a panther should be about 85f. If the room's ambient temp was 85f, then her basking temp, and the temps within her cage, likely became too hot and she went white to shield some of that heat. A basking temp of 90f is a bit warm for panthers.

I put them under galleries, member galleries, then hit P for Pacific Chameleon, click on Pacific Chameleon and my gallery pictures are in there..... Let me know if you can't see them in there. I can see them there, but maybe there's something up.

Pacific Chameleon,
You have done a great job with them. They have grown so much since I sent them to you. The male has really colored up beautifully. I would love to see some side views of him all fired up.
Lance

Back
Top Bottom