Female in egg laying hole for a while now...

jamie and jarrett

Our female veiled has been digging all day long, and she also dug a test hole yesterday. But for the past 2 hours she is just sitting in the whole she dug acting like she is laying the eggs. How long can it take for her to actually lay the eggs? Her light is about to go off in an hour, will she sleep in there? This is the second time she has layed eggs, the first time was in August. We have never mated her. Last time we weren't home when she layed the eggs, so I am just curious and I want to make sure that she is ok.

She can take hours in the whole. My female red body blue bar ambilobe
was in the whole for about a day. You just have to wait until she comes out and covers the whole. Thats when you know she is done.

Howdy,

I sounds like you've had success with egg laying in the past but be careful not to let her see you and get spooked. She might give-up that hole and start all over again :(.

I know, I have been very careful to not let her see me much. There is a sliding door (not glass) on the room she is in, so I just opened it a crack to be able to check up on her.

Thanks for the replies. I just remember last time one day everything was fine and the next day (literally) she was very skinny and there was dirt all over the cage. She was all done by the time I got home from work. That is why I was a little scared this time. We will see, last time she layed about 40 eggs :eek: I will definately up the calcium for a little bit.

**edit**
Okay, so it is an hour past her bedtime and she is still digging. I left the light on in the room, but I am going to turn it off now. I wonder if she will dig throughout the night, although I don't know how I will tell as I do not want to disturb her if she is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom