female in distress?

chamcrazy

My very gravid female is 20 days out since copulation. She has been digging tunnels in her soil for 2-1/2 days now. (All day long except for night time.) I have kept a close eye one her and she has yet to lay them. (I give her plenty of seclusion and do not let her see me when I peek in.) Her sides are very lumpy. She hasn't eaten in 2 days either. She will dig a tunnel so far that when she's in it, all I can see is about 3 inches of her tail hanging out. Then she'll come out, bury it, then start digging on the other side and repeat again and again.

Is this normal? Do you think she's not happy with finding a place to lay them? The soil is a moist sand/potting soil mix and is about 7" deep. It's a pretty big area so there's plenty of room.

If it's not normal, should I change something?

Please help.

pictures that you requested

Ok, here are some pics. Keep in mind, this is just her egg laying chamber. Not her cage that I normally keep her in. She has been in this one for about 14 days. I've seen her drinking water off the leaves quite a bit, but she's definately not eating.

Attachments

• no-lcage1.jpg
    no-lcage1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 200
  • no-lcage2.jpg
    no-lcage2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 234
  • no-lcage3.jpg
    no-lcage3.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 205
  • no-lcage4.jpg
    no-lcage4.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 214
Bother her and add about 5 to 7 more inches of medium to the laying container.
Make sure it is moist enough.

-Brad

edit: Just saw the pictures. Take all that stuff out of there as well. She will be fine while you clear it out and add more sand.

-B.

One other thing to consider:

I've had better luck with a round (bucket or trash can) laying container than one with corners.

-Brad

Wonderful, and thank you Brad. Let us know how she does.

I did have one female who would not lay because her soil was too wet. She did what your's is doing. She dug tunnels for a few days. When I remixed her soil to a drier combination, she dug a tunnel and laid her eggs. Make sure it's moist enough, as Brad said, but not wet. She just needs the soil to clump together enough to hold a tunnel.

Awesome, I'm doing it right now! Thanks so much.

One other thing to consider:

I've had better luck with a round (bucket or trash can) laying container than one with corners.

-Brad

Bother her and add about 5 to 7 more inches of medium to the laying container.
Make sure it is moist enough.

-Brad

edit: Just saw the pictures. Take all that stuff out of there as well. She will be fine while you clear it out and add more sand.

-B.

Back
Top Bottom