Feeding Problems

Jam

Hi Everyone! I am hoping that some people will have some advice for me and my veiled Hermie.

Life was going quite well for us ... he got over his kidney problems, perked up, was active, eating VERY well. I bought a new plant for him that I put in a window and every evening I would open the window (screen intact) and put him in it. He LOVED this and would sit there and eat there.

WELL, being Michigan it is now (I think) too cold to do this. So I did add the plant to his cage ... but now he will no longer eat. I think that this is somewhat of a psychological problem, although a problem none-the-less. The big issue is that everytime he sees me open his cage he thinks that I am going to pull him out to give him injections (he was on injectable antibiotics and subq fluids for a while) and takes suicidal leaps off of his branches and hides in the bottom corner of his cage for a period of time. This is making feeding difficult because while hiding he is missing the feeders ... bc then THEY go and hide. I have even tried wax worms for him. I've tried bringing the feeders in the cage on a spoon ... no luck. I have ordered some silk worms and horn worms hoping that they will stick around long enough for him to find when he resurfaces. The only thing that I can think of is to throw 5-10 crickets in there and hope that he finds them when i'm not around ... but I liked watching him eat so that I KNEW that he was eating.

Any suggestions?? Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer so maybe I can get him back in the window again. It's been close to a week since he's eaten anything (that I know of anyways, although his weight still looks good).

Try a cup or small bowl to put the feeders in. We have a small tupperware bowl attached to a spot in the enclosure and place the feeders in there so they can't get away. Once he knows its there he will go there for feeding.

Hello Jam,

Hopefully the hornworms or silkworms will work. My guy loves them. Also sometimes they really go for flies. Maybe try the window again.....even if it is cold atleast long enough for a feeding. I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep good thoughts of you and Hermie. Jann

Back
Top Bottom