Feeding large chameleons warm blooded prey

To answer this question fully we would need much more research into both wild and captive chameleons' metabolism and longevity studies to see the effect of high protein diets including vertebrates. It simply does not exist. We don't know the correct ratio or levels of vitamin A or even if they have the ability to convert precursors into vitamin A! And this is just one of many things we truly do not know. We have to go on experience and community involvement to see what seems to work.

When discussing wild animals, we must remember that they are opportunistic feeders. I don't believe that a large chameleon, like a melleri for example, would pass up a hatchling bird, lizard, etc.

An excellent summary. The argument that this justifies feeding them in captivity makes the assumption that animals know what is best for them and will never eat anything they shouldn't. A dangerous assumption. Why then have I watched dogs and cats die or be hospitalized to recover from countless toxicities from chocolate, coffee, drugs, toxic plants, etc? Because animals do not have that ability. We as humans barely have that ability because it takes so many studies to analyze full nutritional value and long term effects. We have revised what is good to eat versus what is bad to eat many, many times based on new data. How can we expect an animal to do that?

In the wild a meal now may be the difference between life and death so they will take what they can get. Do they live longer with vertebrates in their diet? We have no idea! Is is better for them? We have no idea! The science cannot support it because it does not exist. But back in the day at the start of widespread captive iguanas the recommendation was to feed them dog food because it stopped MBD due to higher calcium levels than people were otherwise offering, and it incidentally had much more animal protein. Then they all started dying of gout and kidney failure down the line. It was not a coincidence.

Variety yes, small vertebrates in moderation (I'm talking like a few times a year) sure, but no one will be convincing me that they NEED vertebrates until the science shows it. Vertebrates are not a notable part of a chameleon's normal diet in the wild. Even in those that have been documented it is usually less than 5-10% of stomach contents - hardly a noteworthy component. Gout is a very painful and incurable buildup of uric acid crystals in the joints and/or internal organs. Everything your chameleon needs can be obtained through an all-insect diet with good gutloading and proper supplementation. So why risk it?

I couldn't agree more I have been keeping chameleons for over twenty years on a insect diet with feeding veiled some greens, and have had them live for over 9 years. which is a lot longer than their life expectancy is in the wild, so obviously it is sufficient, so why risk it. Have never had the pleasure of keeping the really large species, so I really couldn't say one way or the other. However I would do what others with extended experience, and who are successful are doing.

Everything your chameleon needs can be obtained through an all-insect diet with good gutloading and proper supplementation. So why risk it?
Absolutely correct,why pinky n birds Biweekly if you can have all the all-insect diet with good gutloading and proper supplementation.
No matter a bird lover or a insect lover,the main concern here is the chameleon health reason,alphakenc will still feed the insect STAPLE diet until someone can provide the proof that there are 100% better nutrition values for the cham needs to live better n longer life!!!

For the record and to repeat myself, this was a hypothetical discussion only. My current chameleon diet is consisting of dubia, lateralis, lobster roaches, hissers, discoids, orange heads, black soldier fly larvae, silkworms, hornworms, and super worms. Since the chams are new, I ordered my silkworms and hornworms with chow, in cups. When I am in full operation, I will be raising my own, on fresh mulberry leaves and powdered mulberry, and agar, in the Winter, because I don't like chemicals.
I make my own gut load, from organic sources from nuts.com and offer a dry mix, wet mix, and greens, sweet potatoes, orange slices, and unseasoned table vegetables.

@Extensionofgreen That is an awesome INSECT diet,and thats the reason why I stated before this is far from the argument,I have no bad intention to tell u n DanSB MUST do exactly what I belive and said,I did it because when it is been pass on by the experience chameleon keepers n professional veterinarian , I admit I did get little emotions involved with the birdy part after I read the 2 threads that DanSB replied to me,but it still dont outweigh the chameleon health reason,if anyone can proof that the pinky mice n birds are absolutely better diet,Im willing to learn until then I will rest my case.

In the wild a meal now may be the difference between life and death so they will take what they can get.

I couldn't agree more. I feel that chameleons, especially WC specimens, have an innate drive to feed on what is offered. There is a tremendous difference in actions in regards to WC v captive bred animals. Do I feel that vertebrates are a necessary part of a chameleons diet, NO.....or I would be feeding them to my plethora of chameleons. I think people loose the fact that just because a chameleon will readily take the item doesn't mean that it was the best choice of feeder. I have watched people on the internet feed ridiculous things to chameleons and justify it by stating that they obviously liked it or they wouldn't have eaten it. I have to state again that chameleons(animals in general) are opportunistic feeders. Chameleons are incredibly driven by movement. If there is a pinky mouse wriggling non stop and a dubia roach that has hidden itself on the underside of a branch......what item do you think the chameleon is going to go for?

I keep a large amount of melleri. Seeing that my melleri will pass up a feeder that is right in front of them to chase down an anole that they saw out of the corner of their eye tells me that their feeding/hunting is triggered by far more than a cricket. I have no doubt that most of the melleri that I own have probably fed on far more than insects prior to me having them. While in Hawaii this January I was able to see a lot of xanths in a botanical setting. I asked the owner if she knew what they primarily fed on there? Grasshoppers, butterflies, etc? She said that she has seen them eat many things even the invasive Brown Anole. I say this to point out that the animal wasn't discerning between meal items, it simply saw movement from an item it could handle and struck.

So, like mentioned before, chameleons are opportunistic. They will eat a wide variety of items offered. After 17 years of keeping chameleons, do I feed items like pinkies....no. I too wait for the science behind an ideal to be clear before I start experimenting with diet in such sensitive animals. But, that does not mean the discussion is taboo. I don't feel like this was a thread meant to stir emotions, I think the OP simply wanted information based on a personal theory. I applaud that. Smart people discuss plans prior to putting them into action. Will information change on chameleon's dietary needs someday...of course it will. But, like @ferretinmyshoes, I too will not feed items like this until I see a necessity for doing so.

Great topic Dan.

I do feed my male veiled chameleon pinky sometimes fuzzier frozen than thawed with hot water. I also inject calcium with Dr 3 with a syringe.
He's almost 7 yes old and I only feed occasionally that's "him" Lemmy in my icon.

I do feed my male veiled chameleon pinky sometimes fuzzier frozen than thawed with hot water. I also inject calcium with Dr 3 with a syringe.
He's almost 7 yes old and I only feed occasionally that's "him" Lemmy in my icon.
That is a nice looken veiled.

Ha ha page 3 veterinarian and experienced keeper input and the consensus seems to be: We don't really know but we're not going to try because there is a chance it could be dangerous. Fair enough.

I would be interested to hear more from those who actually HAVE fed vertebrates regularly but I think most of them don't post here anymore. Maybe all their chams died of gout? :) I highly suspect those who are regularly feeding simply don't say anything out of fear of persecution. Especially if those people happen to be successful Parsons breeders and don't want to impact sales?

Someone should set up tests and do an experiment.
If only it were that easy... It's all about the funding and finding someone interested and capable of running a study. Imagine the time and costs of housing feeding and caring for dozens of chameleons (of even just a single species to start) with regular bloodwork and tissue samples upon euthanizing at varying ages to determine effect on internal organs. And those are just the big logistics and costs involved.

If only it were that easy... It's all about the funding and finding someone interested and capable of running a study. Imagine the time and costs of housing feeding and caring for dozens of chameleons (of even just a single species to start) with regular bloodwork and tissue samples upon euthanizing at varying ages to determine effect on internal organs. And those are just the big logistics and costs involved.
If science were easy and cheap we would live on mars and have warp drive.

Thank you very much he is very spoiled he likes wax worms hornworms, rasberries,blueberries, strawberries, apples and even seedless watermelon oh and he's even a few luna moths and praying mantis I did break those sharp legs off lol!

And of course those pinkies everyone thinks gives your Chameleons GOUT LOL
UNLESS YOU'RE LETTING YOUR CHAMELEONS DRINK ALCOHOL AND A GOOD
DOSE URIC ACID GOUT IS KINDA FAR FETCHED! AND DID THEIR CHAMELEONS
SUDDENLY COMPLAIN ABOUT ACHY ANKLES!! LOL

And of course those pinkies everyone thinks gives your Chameleons GOUT LOL
UNLESS YOU'RE LETTING YOUR CHAMELEONS DRINK ALCOHOL AND A GOOD
DOSE URIC ACID GOUT IS KINDA FAR FETCHED! AND DID THEIR CHAMELEONS
SUDDENLY COMPLAIN ABOUT ACHY ANKLES!! LOL

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic? Gout is caused in humans by a lot of things including alcohol, rich salty foods etc. It's very common in reptiles that are fed a high protein diet, or had their feeders raised on a high protein diet. Uric acid builds up in the system of the insect, is consumed by the reptile, and uric acid builds up in the reptiles system. It's been diagnosed by veterinarians multitudes of times.

Maybe a little sarcastic but in in reality it actually Metabolic Bone Disease AKA REPTILE GOUT and it about properly supplementing and proper lighting and educating yourself about your wonderful pet chameleon.

Maybe a little sarcastic but in in reality it actually Metabolic Bone Disease AKA REPTILE GOUT and it about properly supplementing and proper lighting and educating yourself about your wonderful pet chameleon.
Gout and metabolic bone disease are two completely separate disease processes. Not at all similar. Please educate yourself before commenting further.

This subject is especially topical as I just diagnosed gout in a bearded dragon literally a few hours ago. Spiky urate crystals in multiple swollen and painful joints. Had to euthanize. Gout is nothing to laugh at.

Oh and they're the opposite of human forget using sunscreen they need all the sun they can get. AND REMEMBER TO CHANG ULTRA VIOLET AND BASKING LIGHTS EVER 6 MONTHS!

I'M sorry to sound rude I love my chameleons and get heated when people don't take time to research:)

Back
Top Bottom