Feeding black swallowtails?

NikkiA

Avid Member
We raise butterflies in the summer. Every now and again we get one that comes out of it's chrysalis deformed (we raise a lot). We normally try to nurture them until they pass away, but I always feel a bit guilty, since butterflies should be free and flying.

Now that I have a chameleon, I was wondering if I can feed them butterflies that can't fly? I know that the monarchs are toxic because they eat milkweed. We also raise spicebush swallowtails (ours are fed spicebush) and black swallowtails (ours are fed parsley, dill and fennel). They are raised in our sunroom and overwinter on our porch. Are there any possible dangers or issues with toxicity in feeding either of these types of swallowtails if any emerge that doesn't allow us to release them?

Is it a black swallowtail or a pipeline?
I've never fed butterflies to my chameleons but from what I've read the black swallowtails are not poisonous to birds...that's all I can say.

What do you feed the caterpillars?

After reading my o.p., I realize I wasn't clear that we fed our caterpillars, not the butterflies. I apologize for the confusion. Since we raise so many, the caterpillars and butterflies are one in the same in my mind, lol!

We always release our butterflies as soon as they emerge unless they have an issue, so I never have to feed them if they are typical. If a butterfly can't be released we feed them sugar water or put them on a butterfly bush to drink the nectar.

The spicebush swallowtail caterpillars are fed spicebush. The black swallowtail caterpillars are fed fennel, dill and parsley. We don't raise pipevine swallowtails but I know that pipevine swallowtails are toxic, so I wouldn't feed those.

You said..."Now that I have a chameleon, I was wondering if I can feed them butterflies that can't fly?"... Which is why I answered you about the butterflies toxicity.

I did miss what you said you fed the caterpillars though....and that's what I was asking about you feeding even though I didn't make it clear. Oops! :) I know butterflies don't eat...just drink nectar.

I've hatched a few caterpillars along the way. My kids would bring home caterpillars so I had to figure out what they were and feed them appropriately and the kids released the butterflies when they hatched. My friend also raises Monarchs to release since they are getting to be fewer. I'm goingto start that too if I can.

My friend also raises Monarchs to release since they are getting to be fewer. I'm goingto start that too if I can.

We started raising them last summer. My oldest is very athletic and active. She broke her arm and needed surgery the first week of summer, she wasn't supposed to run, swim, ride a bike or do any sports. In my attempt to give everyone a fun summer (even if that meant modified) I took them all over to find stimulating activities. We went to one of my favorite plant nurseries where they have a butterfly house. They were giving away 5 monarch caterpillars as long as you had milkweed or purchased some. That was it, we were hooked. We did it all last summer and we over wintered 30 swallowtails. We had 4 emerge this week. It is very rewarding and I highly recommend doing it.

We took some of our caterpillars to my girls' classrooms last fall. Once they emerged from the chrysalis, I tagged the monarchs and the teachers released them with their classes.

I always offer milkweed seeds or plants to people interested in getting started in butterfly rearing, since it's so rewarding. I know that I can't offer plants to you because of the soil. I wish I knew the laws about sending seeds to Canada as well as I know them about transporting orchids to Canada.

What a great idea for someone who has a broken arm and is limited while it heals to inactive activities!!!

My friend has milkweed and seeds to give me this year...but I really appreciate your offer.

For years I have not used pesticides on my lawn (I dig up weeds by hand) and gardens so I won't kill the bees and butterflies/caterpillars. I live in a residential area and yet I have opposums, skunks, red, black, grey squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, etc visiting every day. I have black capped chickadees, gold finches, robins, cardinals, bluejays, dark eyed juncos, several species of sparrows, mourning doves, cow birds, red winged black birds, starlings, red headed woodpeckers, etc. in my yard almost every day. It definitely keeps me entertained!

I will definitely enjoy more butterflies too! I'd do bees but too many people around here use pesticides....so I couldn't use the honey.

Please post some photos of your caterpillars, butterflies and the chrysalis too.

I don't use pesticides either. I do release natural predators like mantises and ladybugs.

I think raising bees would be a fantastic experience. Unfortunately, there are too many pesticides around here too. We watched this great documentary on honey bees and how their numbers are dwindling. Bees are so important, I wish people understood why we need them.

Here are some pictures of our butterflies, caterpillars and chrysalis from last season. The two at the end are caterpillars that just hatched. I tend to check my milkweed daily to pull and sanitize the eggs.

Attachments

• 20190922_144735.jpg
    20190922_144735.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 20190920_142412.jpg
    20190920_142412.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 89
  • 20190813_124417.jpg
    20190813_124417.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 20190812_104920.jpg
    20190812_104920.jpg