Feeding at 4 months

kaylie

How many crickets should my 4 month old male veiled be eating daily? He eats 7 a day now, sometimes 8 but most days refuses the 8th...
Am I on track?:confused:

Wow... Maybe he eats less because he is eating bigger crickets? I'd say they are 3/8 to 1/2 inch. He has had no problems with that size so far as far as being able to swallow them. How can I get him to eat more?

You are on the right track and the size seems ok.
I fed my panther male 8-10 per day at that age and size.

I would also not just feed crickets and try to use other feeders.
I do also hope that you have learned the value of good gutloading for your chameleons health.

Harry

My 3 month old veiled only eats around 8-10 small crix and the occasional wax or mealworm. I was worried he was a little on the skinny side but he eats regularly and is gaining weight. I think hes just a casual eater, he doesnt scoff everything down all at once, he eats one or two then wanders off and keeps coming back throughout the day for a few more munchies. I used to leave his feeding cup in until i turned off his lights but after discovering a partially digested worm in his poop I have started to remove his cup around 6pm to encourage him to eat earlier.

my nosy be eats at least 10 3/8-1/2 in crickets a day and a couple of dubias too haha but the only thing is that she doesnt look like shes gaining any weight at all XD shes a slow grower

My 3 month veiled is a very picky eater too. I just switched to roaches and if they are not the smaller nymphs he turns his nose up at them. He just shed for the first time since I have had him so I assume he is eating well. I also just switched to cup feeding so I can keep a better track on how many he is actually eating but he seems to not be taking to cup / bowl feeding very well.

I didn't see it mentioned, but veileds are known to eat fruit and dark leafy veg like collard, turnip and dandelion greens and they are high in calcium. You might want to try some to see. Google which ones are high in calcium and low in phosphorus. You do not want to feed spinach or brocoli as it binds the calcium.

I also just switched to cup feeding so I can keep a better track on how many he is actually eating but he seems to not be taking to cup / bowl feeding very well.

yeah my little guy is like that too, he will eat from his cup but seems less interested yet if one hops out of the cup he is onto it straight away. I guess he just likes a challenge.

yeah my little guy is like that too, he will eat from his cup but seems less interested yet if one hops out of the cup he is onto it straight away. I guess he just likes a challenge.

I think mine is just lazy LOL if they crawl up close to him he will grab them but other than that he just chills on his favorite branch.

Ok, feelin better.

Yes, I take good care of the crickets, with a substrate of Kashi cereal to randomly munch on and 3 small containers each holding different gutload. 1 is always a small slice of orange, and i switch up the other 2 with yam, collard greens, dandelion greens, carrots, and squash. Always one orange, one green, one veg. That is what is on hand right now, next shopping i will look for more stuff. I'll also see if he wants to eat some of that too...

With eating that much he has gained weight in the 2 months i've had him. The pet store told me 3 crickets a day! I'm glad i found this place soon after getting him and increased the amount. He looks much healthier now.

Cup feeding would be easier, but I like that he has to move around and get exercise. However, he usually waits for them to come to him. But that could be because we're starting to feel winter here in FL, and a heater makes it too stuffy in my/his room. He wants to stay close to the light. He will move for the first 2 or 3 but then he waits.

And yeah, I am looking into other feeders. I have been looking up how to take care of silkworms, and peeked a little at roaches. What else are easy to take care of? I've been scared away from mealworms until he's older and bigger since I read about the hard body and eating my cham from the inside if not digested properly...

Back
Top Bottom