Feeders Feeding?

Tired of watching veileds grow week by week?

YES?

I figured.

Check out these mantids eating some silk worms.

Today I thought 'hmmmmm my mantis are probably hungry....' So I dropped a silkworm into the cup with my smaller mantis. It took a second and then POUNCE! I was impressed and ran for the camera!

I am not sure of the species of this mantis, so those who know, please chime in. My GF, Renee, found this mantis on the steps to our apt. yesterday.

KevinZamp07_26_20104074RSRC.jpg

KevinZamp07_26_20104068RSRC.jpg

KevinZamp07_26_20104059RSRC.jpg

KevinZamp07_26_20104057RSRC.jpg

KevinZamp07_26_20104055RSRC.jpg

KevinZamp07_26_20104052RSRC.jpg

This other mantis is from Steve, I think it is a Chinese mantis?

This guy didn't seem too interested.... The worm was swaying it's head around sniffing for mulberry....

KevinZamp07_26_20104080RSRC.jpg

Then POUNCE!

KevinZamp07_26_20104082RS.jpg

KevinZamp07_26_20104084RS.jpg

KevinZamp07_26_20104098RS.jpg

KevinZamp07_26_20104120RSRC.jpg

KevinZamp07_26_20104092RS.jpg

chinese mantis

If you caught it wild, it is most likely a Chinese mantis. Those are awesome pics.

My mantids and ooth should be arriving this afternoon. I am looking forward to getting similar results with controlling my dubia population. My cham has decided that the adults are too big. I will feed the excess adult males to the mantids.

btw, if anyone wants some breeding size dubia's I have extra for cost of shipping and packaging.

I love mantis....... that was pretty digusting. Great pics though
are they able to eat that whole silkworm themselves??

I love mantis....... that was pretty digusting. Great pics though
are they able to eat that whole silkworm themselves??

YES! lol It didn't take long either.

I'll wait a day before I try again.... I wonder how often they will want them... Good source of fluids, thats for sure.

If you caught it wild, it is most likely a Chinese mantis. Those are awesome pics.

The one that we caught wild (the first one) looks very different from the Chinese mantis. Its bright green and its back portion actually looks like a slim leaf.

I'm ALWAYS tired of Veield pictures lol but these mantids are just awesome, those silks look tastey haha,nice pix dude, awesome professional quality.

Still may be chinese

The one that we caught wild (the first one) looks very different from the Chinese mantis. Its bright green and its back portion actually looks like a slim leaf.

That still may be a Chinese mantis. There is some variation. They are some of the largest mantids and can get up to 6". If it is in the 5-6" range, it probably is a Chinese mantis.

Whatever it is though, they look awesome. My nymphs arrived last night and are chowing done on some wild caught flies this morning. As soon as they get to some size, I will try to get pics posted.

Back
Top Bottom