Votes: 362 34.1%
  • Pothos

Votes: 201 18.9%
  • Dracaena

Votes: 33 3.1%
  • Hibiscus

Votes: 158 14.9%

• Total voters
Thats the great thing about plants is, they pretty much all grow larger, but as miniature versions of them if they were larger. Go with a small shefflerra and a pothos.

jt put a new hisbiscu in igors cage today

l_b605d282049a58442e359f6b1ac9541e.jpg

favourite plants

My veiled chameleon loves baby tears the best. I have tried many plants and still have many plants in my enclosures like the parlour palm spider plants, hibiscus and many more but she loves the baby tears so much I have 3 plants that I keep alternating because the plants growth can't keep up with her appetite and it grows pretty quick. If u don't know the plant the only way I can give u a mental pic is to imagine bean sprouts with tiny leaves on them. Baby tears is by far her favourite. She won't eat any plant but those now and she loves it more than any other plant I promise. So if u want your cham to have a great veg diet then consider baby tears. It will blow your mind how much they will eat of it, trust me I am a newbie with chams but my green thimb has been with me my whole life. Thanks for your time everyone I learn so much from u people. U guys r great and deserve a major pat on the back.

i use a hibiscus plant with my veiled which i have grown right from the seeds, it looks amazing and is really great for providing the most natural environment and my cham seems to love it too!!

Schefflera All the Way!!! Beautifull and inexpensive, great drinking leaves, And I am Yet to Kill one, While I have killed everything else! Plus they expand nicely into a cage, make great jungle gyms for my Chams!

sorry for being late for the party.

Hibiscus work well personally
If you have proper lighting in the cage they'll work VERY WELL.

I've been playing around with another species (not listed)
it's working out quit nicely too.

Re: Jasmine species.
The family of plants are on BOTH the toxic and non-toxic plants lists
in general
They are not going to be safe for your animals to consume.
the atropine alkaloids are there to defend against nibbling.
They work well and can cause death.

But the safest one is Jasminum sambac (Maid of Orleans)
I've had a few of these and can attest to their fragrance.
http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1390-2

while I wouldn't eat handfuls of the leaves or flowers
I would say it's the safest of the bunch (ymmv) with a history of use in teas.
But if your animal gets sick and dies (don't come running to blame me).

Toxicity aside, The downside is that the stems aren't very strong
nor is it a aggressive climber nor a fast grower
you'll have to cycle two or three in and outside of cage
for a lush plant.
;)

Big thumbs up for schefflera here! I actually have to keep trimming the thing back, it's thriving so well (unlike my past ficus b.'s, which I kill, and kill, and kill...). I bought it as a "tree," so it has plenty of strong branches for Joyce, and she loves hanging out in it.

Lately I am really loving the pothos plants. they are great for chams to move around on.

I also have a Cham plant from Jeweled Chameleons, it is doing GREAT and I wish I had more of them. The trick with them is to let it establish itself in the pot you intend to to have it in... once it gets the roots going.. LOOK OUT! Mine was growing 6 inches a week. (maybe not THAT much.... but it was mad)

About the Ficus.....Is it normal to loose a lot of leaves? Mine drops tons!!! I think it might not have enough light? My cham loves it though....

About the Ficus.....Is it normal to loose a lot of leaves? Mine drops tons!!! I think it might not have enough light? My cham loves it though....

ficus dropped its leaves usually for 2 reasons:
1. not enough water
2. too much water

raise the pot above the ground so any water collection can dropped down to prevent root rot.

Pothos

I use pothos. Actually it is the only plant I have placed in my cage. Today I want to go look for a schefflera to see if that will go well in my enclosure. I have a 2 month old veiled and is in dire need of some additional plants.

faves...

Ive had both ficus, schifflera (sp?) AND hibiscus all at one point or another... and ive deffinitely had more luck with the ficus, as far as staying alive and providing a good climbing medium for my guy... All the schiffleras ive had have died within a few omnths (sometimes more sometimes less...) and while i find that they work really well for babies and such (theyre perfect diameters and leaf size the babies blend right in!) im not so much a fan when the chams are bigger. As for Hibiscus, i had one a while ago that in a metter of months got eaten down to bare branches, but i also have another one now that Jack hasnt been bothering...
Normally i will have two of the three species in a cage at any one time, and have started switching out when they start to look a little worse for wear, so teh plant has some time to recoup

with my ficus, i might pick up a few leaves every couple of days, usually not more then about 3 a week.

hope im not over watering it, just making sure the soil is moist.

and i picked up two nice lookin sheff plants today.

Attachments

• sheff.jpg
    sheff.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 321
I keep reading that some chams have a reaction to the sap in the ficus. Our cham keeps eating hers. Should I be concerned?

Back
Top Bottom