• Pothos

Votes: 201 18.9%
  • Dracaena

Votes: 33 3.1%
  • Hibiscus

Votes: 158 14.9%

• Total voters
Frank Castle said:
When I got my Ficus tree, it looked like a Ficus Bush. I did the Bonzai thing on it and thined it out. It looks more like a tree now, plenty of room for my juvinile Veiled to move in, yet enough coverage for him to hide. I think it might have helped the Tree. It is sprouting new growth everywhere. I am hopeing by doing the Bonzai thing I can maintain the highth of the plant in the enclosure and make its gerth grow? Anyone else do this with their trees and whats the out come?

Frank

I use a few bonsai trees in my enclosures. I have some very small ones for babies made from a type of ficus, and larger ones for the big guys. They eventually grow to the shape of the enclosure, I have a few that are a square shape. They normally do better if they are rotated outside occasionally. You can actually do this with any type of tree excluding palm trees, it just takes time to "dwarf" the tree. The more that you pinch the leaves back, the more new growth that you get, which will give you smaller leaves which is preferred for that bonsai look. It can only be officially concidered a bonsai if it is less than 3 feet tall, I am going from memory on that so I could be wrong, but you can really make it any height that you would like. I had a 15 year old ficus that was, pot and all, about 10-12 feet tall that I used for outdoor exposure for my panthers. Sadly it died last winter during a freeze (imagine that I live in Florida). It was my favorite large bonsai because the trunk was 3-4 inches in diameter with some roots exposed at the base which looks really cool. I will have to post some pics of my bonsais that I have right now. I am currently working on a jackaranda, which will hopefully be a beautiful specimen when in bloom, and a couple of mulberry trees (for silkies) for future bonsais down the road.

Jerm said:
I use a few bonsai trees in my enclosures. I have some very small ones for babies made from a type of ficus, and larger ones for the big guys. They eventually grow to the shape of the enclosure, I have a few that are a square shape. They normally do better if they are rotated outside occasionally. You can actually do this with any type of tree excluding palm trees, it just takes time to "dwarf" the tree. The more that you pinch the leaves back, the more new growth that you get, which will give you smaller leaves which is preferred for that bonsai look. It can only be officially concidered a bonsai if it is less than 3 feet tall, I am going from memory on that so I could be wrong, but you can really make it any height that you would like. I had a 15 year old ficus that was, pot and all, about 10-12 feet tall that I used for outdoor exposure for my panthers. Sadly it died last winter during a freeze (imagine that I live in Florida). It was my favorite large bonsai because the trunk was 3-4 inches in diameter with some roots exposed at the base which looks really cool. I will have to post some pics of my bonsais that I have right now. I am currently working on a jackaranda, which will hopefully be a beautiful specimen when in bloom, and a couple of mulberry trees (for silkies) for future bonsais down the road.

Sounds like a good idea. I am not particularly going for a Bonzai look. I guess it is along the lines of Dwarfing the tree. I pick and choose which branches I want to leave and where they are going. Like I said I really thined it out. Maybe this is a form of Bonzai? I am hoping that by limiting the growth of a lot of the branches and leafs, 1 the leafs will get bigger (to a point), and 2 the branches themselves will get bigger in diameter. This is the first real plant that I am taking care of, and working with. My Goal is to get a "Gerthy" Tree that fits comfy in my cage. I know Ficus are notorious for a bunch of branches and leaves. Is there any thing I need to watch out for while Dwarfing this tree. I know that cutting to much off can and will kill it. It needs enough leaf area to support the plant. I dont want a bush, or a charlie brown christmas tree. I think I have it right in the middle where I like it right now.

Frank

Frank Castle said:
Is there any thing I need to watch out for while Dwarfing this tree.
Frank

The only warning that I can think of with a ficus is that when you cut it or pinch leaves it tends to "bleed" a white substance. I normally do the trimming while the plant is out of the enclosure and then give it a day or two atleast before putting it back. The white substance can be bad for a chameleons eyes if it rubs them on a freshly cut limb. I haven't experienced this first hand, but I also haven't chanced it. I have heard that that stuff can be toxic too but I'm not sure about that, I've been using ficus for awhile now.

lowendfrequency said:
I'm the only weirdo that voted for schefflera. They grow like weeds and have thick yet nicely spaced branches. Ficus is too dense for large chameleons like veileds and panthers to navigate their way through easily imo. Also, the cupped leaves and umbrella shape hold water well, and the very center where all the leafs stalks meet usually gathers a huge drop of water that my chams love to drink. I use schefflera for all my species, even the brevs.
I really like schefflera too. I am using the variegata(arboricola) type which adds some color. My favorites among the list are schefflera, pothos, and hibiscus.

Hey,

My favorite is definetly the pothos. I have to trim mine back prety much every week because they are out of control! The vines are great for the chams to climb on and since they are hanging plants (I hang them from the tops of the cages) the bottom of the cage is much easier to clean considering there isn't a huge pot to clean around. I've been keeping many of them for quite a few years and I don't think I had one die yet. Heres some pics of some pothos' hanging from the tops on cages. :)

5ce5f348.jpg

b927e084.jpg

Schefflera and hibiscus are tied for my second favorite. They are great for bigger chameleons like panthers to climb on. The hibiscus are very pretty while in bloom, but I haven't been able to find them at any time of the year other than spring, so I always stock up. :) I haven't had any luck what so ever with ficus! They always loose a handful of leaves a day until they die. Anyway, thats just my experience.

Heres a pic of a panther eating a hibiscus flower...

a1aa1b67.jpg

-Adam
Snail Tail Inc.

jasmines

i've been using the jasmine trees (which is different from the jasmine plant) for 2 years now. when trimmed there is no milky white sap, and in my 2-4 foot trees there is no fruit. the only tree i get the berries on is my 6 foot tall 6 year old tree. the berries are like a hard nut, not like a black berry.
i have been using the jasmines with my jackson chameleons (i have 6 now)
i have 2 veileds that do not eat plants, nothing i have given them. i have never seen them eat pothos, ficus, hibiscus, etc. i don't know why?
here is a picture of a few of my enclosures, btw is that pressure treated wood your using for your enclosures "snail tail"?
4enclosures.jpg

DrewNYC said:
i've been using the jasmine trees (which is different from the jasmine plant) for 2 years now. when trimmed there is no milky white sap, and in my 2-4 foot trees there is no fruit. the only tree i get the berries on is my 6 foot tall 6 year old tree. the berries are like a hard nut, not like a black berry.
i have been using the jasmines with my jackson chameleons (i have 6 now)
i have 2 veileds that do not eat plants, nothing i have given them. i have never seen them eat pothos, ficus, hibiscus, etc. i don't know why?
here is a picture of a few of my enclosures, btw is that pressure treated wood your using for your enclosures "snail tail"?
4enclosures.jpg

Hey,

Yes, that is pressure treated wood. Don't worry though, I researched it and the chams do fine with it.

-Adam.
Snail Tail Inc.

Schefflera and pothos for me. The schefflera holds water nicely in the leaves which I like as it gives the chameleons time to wander around and drink from the leaves. Ficus trees can cause eye problems, so be careful when you trim. I guess that goes for any plant you are trimming... Sap, etc., can be harmful for their eyes.

Ficus tree leaves are a mess. So that is why I prefer schefflera.

Schefflera are awesome. However, anything less than a 2-3 foot plant is completly useless to me. They just don't do that well as opposed to the already well established plants.

However, I can never find schefflera plants that have a good start on them. Only 10-12 inch single stems. There is one oin the office here that I really want to steal though... well see if I do.

Hey Will,

You wouldn't believe it, but I actually found my 2.5 ft schefflera at a hardware/lumber store that had a garden section (Lowes/Home Depot generally have some decent specimens of reasonable height for us). I'm not sure what sorts of stores they have up in Ontario (we have lots of chains in Texas that aren't many places farther north), but that might be worth checking into.

Schefflera arboricola does not do well in cold weather, so I doubt it is frequently used outdoors in Will's area. This might be the reason it is not as readily available. It is a good house plant though.

MicheleSmith said:
Pothos is the only plant I can't kill, so I really like it.
hehe same here. I never have any problems with pothos. It is also supposed to be one of the best plants for cleaning the air. I have good success with schefflera, but once in a while I have to rotate them.

Prism Chameleons said:
Schefflera and pothos for me. The schefflera holds water nicely in the leaves which I like as it gives the chameleons time to wander around and drink from the leaves. Ficus trees can cause eye problems, so be careful when you trim. I guess that goes for any plant you are trimming... Sap, etc., can be harmful for their eyes.

Ficus tree leaves are a mess. So that is why I prefer schefflera.
These are the main reasons I prefer schefflera as well. Another reason is that the stems and leaves seem to be stronger and can hold more weight.

Nikrah86 said:
Hey Will, You wouldn't believe it, but I actually found my 2.5 ft schefflera at a hardware/lumber store that had a garden section (Lowes/Home Depot generally have some decent specimens of reasonable height for us). I'm not sure what sorts of stores they have up in Ontario (we have lots of chains in Texas that aren't many places farther north), but that might be worth checking into.
Brad said:
Schefflera arboricola does not do well in cold weather, so I doubt it is frequently used outdoors in Will's area. This might be the reason it is not as readily available. It is a good house plant though.
Oh I see them quite often, but nothing too big. Smaller plants only. They do great as an indoor plant and we have perfect outdoor weather for all plants for 6 months of the year.

Anyways, I see the small pots of them at both garden centers and hardware stores. But again, nothing big enough to make me happy.

lowendfrequency said:
I'm the only weirdo that voted for schefflera. They grow like weeds and have thick yet nicely spaced branches. Ficus is too dense for large chameleons like veileds and panthers to navigate their way through easily imo. Also, the cupped leaves and umbrella shape hold water well, and the very center where all the leafs stalks meet usually gathers a huge drop of water that my chams love to drink. I use schefflera for all my species, even the brevs.
No you aren't i just got one for my nosey be male who needed stronger branches. He's exploring his new plant right now trying to figure out his favorite spot.

I saw some 3 foot schefflera at Home Depot today in their plant section.. definately not for planting outside here either.. for $12 something.

Heika

Back
Top Bottom