Fatty lump

Ok supplements are good. I agree with @kinyonga this looks like edema due to her getting ready to lay eggs. I do not know a lot about it just that it happens.
So your going to need to leave her be. Do not sit and watch her. Keep everything on her normal schedule. Only get into the cage if you need to feed her or mist her. But if she goes back to digging do not bother her for anything with the exception of turning lights on and off if you need to. She may dig a few test holes or she may start a hold and then use that one. But the key is not disturbing her when she is digging because they will abandon the hole thinking it is not a safe place for their eggs.

She will end up butt facing into the hole and head out when she starts to lay the eggs. then she will cover them up with the dirt. Once covered and she comes back up. Your going to mist her really well so she can get the sand off and drink. And you want to feed her well the next few days so she can recoup her energy. Next day you can pull the lay bin and dig out the eggs so you can count them all. Let us know the total number of eggs she has. This is an important aspect to know because we need to control clutch size for their health.

I always learn something new from you. Any idea why edema develops before laying? Is it the pressure from the eggs on the vascular or lymph system or something like that?
I wish I knew for sure what does it...I've seen edema in the throat/ chest/etc in panther females than veileds when they are gravid. It might even be pressure on the kidneys...I'm not a vet so I can only wonder.

She finally went back down and started digging her tunnel! ( no she didn’t see me ) 😭😭 bitter sweet moment!

Attachments

• 6F21D1DC-5346-496A-8457-BB1CDBFAF834.jpeg
    6F21D1DC-5346-496A-8457-BB1CDBFAF834.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 48
I wish I knew for sure what does it...I've seen edema in the throat/ chest/etc in panther females than veileds when they are gravid. It might even be pressure on the kidneys...I'm not a vet so I can only wonder.
I’m wondering about this too. The position of the eggs around the portal blood flow below the liver makes me wonder about something similar to ascites in a person with portal hypertension...

Could it create a sort of pseudo-portal hypertension leading to ascitic fluid (edema) within the abdomen?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3664283/

Is it normal for her to still be digging in the same exact spot? If she is still digging at 8:30 when it’s time for lights off do I still turn lights off

You’ll want to stick to your usual schedule with lights and automatic misting. If she isn’t in an enclosure but is on/in the tree you showed, you can hand mist but make sure she doesn’t see you. I’d mist before lights go on for a few minutes and then again towards lights out. She may sleep in her tunnel. From start to finish, the whole process usually takes 1-2 days. You’ll know she’s done when she’s on a branch basking and has completely covered whatever holes she made.

Back
Top Bottom