Fat panther female

Scott85

My female panther is about 7 months old now. Shes about 8 1/2" total length or 4" snout to vent, and weighs in at 50grams. She has had a recurring problem with a mucus in the back of her throat. While searching for the cause of this I'm sure she was thoroughly stressed. I was cleaning the mucus daily to prevent her from chocking. In addition she saw 4 different qualified vets, was on 4 different antibiotics at 6 different times. One of the anitbiotics was fortaz via injection. The stress it caused her was evident in her weight gain for that month, only 3 grams, and 20 the month after. What finally led to the diagnosis and eventual cure was a tracheal wash. From that a 3rd bacterial culture was taken, and meds given, it seems to have cleared now.

The day after she came back from the tracheal wash was the first time I saw her display her "gravid" coloration. I gave her two days to calm down from the prcedure and then she was put in her laying container for a day. She wasnt interested in digging, even after 12 hours, so I put her back into her cage for the night. That was two weeks ago, and she has been pacing the cage. If shes near the bottom and I walk into the room, she darts back up to the top of her plant. Shes has been in the laying bin porlly 6-7 times in the two weeks for long periods each time, and still nothing. I've tried to feel for the eggs but really all I feel are her ribs. Where her ovaries are located it is dense, but I cannot determine any individual shapes. She looks quite fat though and is still quite interested in food.

I know I'm probably just over concerned, but I dont want her to become egg bound. Do they normally show the "gravid" color all the time? Is it a positive indicator of an upcoming clutch, or a sign or maturation? Should I be concerned if she shows this color and doesn't want to dig? And if so what can I do?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated as this is my first female cham. I would hate to loose her to something like egg binding after she survived a URI that lasted for 2 and a half months.

You could try putting a laying container in her cage. She may feel more secure that way. That's what I do for mine, and she lays in it even with me looking at her.

IMHO you should have a container of washed playsand in her cage all the time so that she can dig to let you know that she needs to lay eggs. I use a container, that when empty is big enough for the female to fit into with several inches of space on all sides of her...including above and below.

Also, I don't think all the disruption of moving her back and forth to the laying bin is doing her any good. I don't usually move mine to the egglaying bin until they start to dig in the container in the cage...and on the rare occasion that I do I leave the female there for quite a few days.

I'll have to find a container that will fit tomorrow. She is in an 18x18x30 screen cage atm with a 12" potted plant. It will be a tight fight but will have to do untill I get her new home finished 24x24x48. Thanks for the help

Get the bucket in asap. I posted a thread last week about how my little girl was sooo chubby but no gravid coloration, didn't feel any eggs, she ate, and everything. Yesterday she still was eating, hadn't tried to dig in the container i have in her cage, but she did seem a little restless. She was going towards the bottom but not for long, she was up and down. This time i did feel eggs so i placed her in the bigger laying bin and during the night she laid 48 eggs. At 8 am she finally finished patting everything down nicely and i put her back in her cage where she quickly downed a huge hornworm and drank up a storm. Have you mated your girl? Or are they infertile eggs?

Debby

She hasn't mated so she would have infertile eggs. I got a small garbage can in there now that is full of washed playsand. And I've resisted the urge to check on her since I put it in. Hopefully she will get the idea.

Yea I bent two of her vines down into it, one at either side. Both of them are touching the surface of the sand. It looks like she was doin somthing in there either last night or this morning, the sand is moved a bit. Shes still looks the same though, so I think she was just exploring.

She still hasn't touched her sand except right after I first put it in there. She will spend long periods of time near it staring into it, but she has yet to dig. Today and last night she has been on the screen almost all the time. She never did this before. Should I move her to the big laying container for the next few days? Or leave her untill she starts to dig in her cage?

Back
Top Bottom