Hissing

hzliedmond

Established Member
Hello my female chameleon started hissing at me from no where ! We were fine yesterday lol she is in stage of graviding could that be the reason? It broke my heart I hope she's back to her self I can't even almost feed her this sucks . What else could be the reason? Thank u

Aww…🥺 If she’s gravid, that would certainly cause her to be hissy. I’m a bit surprised that she hasn’t always been hissy. You may have lucked out and got one of the more rare ‘friendly’ lady veileds. Or, as she’s reached full maturity, her attitude has finally kicked in. I adore my girl Stella but is she isn’t trying to eat my fingers (must think they’re giant fat worms), then she’s trying to bite. When she was young, she was very sweet and never hissed or tried to bite.
Also, many will mistake a chameleon as being friendly because it willingly comes out to their hand, when the reality is they don’t like their enclosure and are taking any way they can to escape it. I know you’ve done a lot of work making your little Izzy’s home perfect. She may be so happy and content in it now, that she’s comfortable in letting her attitude out and not wanting to be bothered by a human.

Hello my female chameleon started hissing at me from no where ! We were fine yesterday lol she is in stage of graviding could that be the reason? It broke my heart I hope she's back to her self I can't even almost feed her this sucks . What else could be the reason? Thank u
Welcome to the club, my girl I saved from absolute death and all she does is hiss at me. She’s a very moody little girl.

Aww…🥺 If she’s gravid, that would certainly cause her to be hissy. I’m a bit surprised that she hasn’t always been hissy. You may have lucked out and got one of the more rare ‘friendly’ lady veileds. Or, as she’s reached full maturity, her attitude has finally kicked in. I adore my girl Stella but is she isn’t trying to eat my fingers (must think they’re giant fat worms), then she’s trying to bite. When she was young, she was very sweet and never hissed or tried to bite.
Also, many will mistake a chameleon as being friendly because it willingly comes out to their hand, when the reality is they don’t like their enclosure and are taking any way they can to escape it. I know you’ve done a lot of work making your little Izzy’s home perfect. She may be so happy and content in it now, that she’s comfortable in letting her attitude out and not wanting to be bothered by a human.
Thank u so much I miss taking her out to the balcony for some sun but what ever makes her happy

Yesss like you’re welcome I’ve dumped over $800 into you in a month
Their brain is naturally programmed to be very solitary animals, hand feed her for a long time that really helps build the trust you want, I wouldn’t ever hold her until she climbs on to you her self. Motivate her with the bugs and make it a game, move the bug to where she has to work to get it sometimes by coming on to your hand. It helps you regulate the diet anyway which is good since you have a female you’ll always know how much she is eating.

Their brain is naturally programmed to be very solitary animals, hand feed her for a long time that really helps build the trust you want, I wouldn’t ever hold her until she climbs on to you her self. Motivate her with the bugs and make it a game, move the bug to where she has to work to get it by coming on to your hand. It helps you regulate the diet anyway which is good since you have a female.
Well I don’t typically force her to do anything. But she has gone to work with me a few times after I got her which naturally required me handling her against her will

Well I don’t typically force her to do anything. But she has gone to work with me a few times after I got her which naturally required me handling her against her will
They’re unfortunately very unforgiving animals. I recommend you to hand feed her for a while and don’t handle her at all until she comes to you this could take months to years to never. If you don’t mind me asking why did she have to go to work with you causing you to handle her against her will. They really shouldn’t be out of the cage long that’s very stressful for a Cham.

Last edited:
They’re unfortunately very unforgiving animals. I recommend you to hand feed her for a while and don’t handle her at all until she comes to you. If you don’t mind me asking why did she have to go to work with you causing you to handle her against her will. They really shouldn’t be out of the cage long that’s very stressful for a Cham.
I’m a vet tech, she was incredibly sick when I bought her. She needed fluids, she needed all kinds of stuff. She didn’t necessarily volunteer for it. In the short time I’ve had her she’s been she’s come along way, even with me. We’re not best friends but she doesn’t run and hide when I’m around anymore

It absolutely is true. She always acts like she’s bothered by anything that’s not food. She’s me when I’m old
Lmao! My girl is literally the same! Except she is still bothered by me when I go to give her food. To be fair I do have to take her out for calcium medication everyday. Chameleons have such fun personality’s :)

Can you post a few pics of her so we can see what colors she is showing now?

Lmao! My girl is literally the same! Except she is still bothered by me when I go to give her food. To be fair I do have to take her out for calcium medication everyday. Chameleons have such fun personality’s :)
Does she not like powder?

Does she not like powder?
She does fine with powder but from a recent vet visit it showed her levels are low (she has had a history of MBD) so my vet wanted to do a liquid calcium by mouth to hopefully boost her levels and stable them out. I think it’s a thing where we get the levels where we want them then work on maintaining them in the future.
Anyway let’s not abduct the thread lol! I’m curious about photos of your girl too @hzliedmond

I've had my veiled over a year. I better not hold my breath and wait for him to walk out of his enclosure cause that means I'm gonna die. He is not food motivated do dangling feeders does not work. I have to force him out. He clings to his branch, even wrapping his tail around a branch. He whines like a baby. I take him out 3 times a week for natural sun and exercise time on the tree swing. He absolutely loves it and refuses to return to his enclosure by backing up away from the branches.. So I hold him for about 15 minutes. I take him to his cage where he happily walks in until next time.

Back
Top Bottom