Fan during day/night?

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
To provide extra air flow and cool down the cage, would it be ok to have a silent computer fan or any other gentle fan to blow down through the cage?

They are not supposed to blow down and in... THey are supposed to be utilized blowing up and out so that they pull the air from inside the cage.
hmm so it has to be done with a mesh door? Do you have a link or something where I can see an example of one being used?

hmm so it has to be done with a mesh door? Do you have a link or something where I can see an example of one being used?
Here's a website that shows people essentially having them on the roof blowing outward/upward essentially like Beman said to pull the stagnant air out of the enclosure, which in effect would pull in fresh air from below through the screen.

ohh I see so its sort of like a vaccum.
Yep
D668C05F-E388-4981-BF45-F06E9861136B.jpeg

I used these for a little bit when I was new on a screen cage... Really did not make much of a difference in humidity level or temp. These are not strong fans. As @Reptofreak said they are used typically on glass enclosures to help pull air with the chimney effect of the enclosure. It provides additional air flow reducing the stagnant air.

I used these for a little bit when I was new on a screen cage... Really did not make much of a difference in humidity level or temp. These are not strong fans. As @Reptofreak said they are used typically on glass enclosures to help pull air with the chimney effect of the enclosure. It provides additional air flow reducing the stagnant air.
Yes the main purpose of me buying it is air flow. As you may know I want a t. hoehnelii and I have pm'ed somebody who told me that I should get some additional air flow if it's going to be in a glass cage.

I seem pretty prepared for one my only concerns are how small they are (when 3 months old) but my big issue is the temp drop. I thought I had a way but it couldn't happen so thats really the only thing i'm shaky on.

Yes the main purpose of me buying it is air flow. As you may know I want a t. hoehnelii and I have pm'ed somebody who told me that I should get some additional air flow if it's going to be in a glass cage.

I seem pretty prepared for one my only concerns are how small they are (when 3 months old) but my big issue is the temp drop. I thought I had a way but it couldn't happen so thats really the only thing i'm shaky on.
It is my understanding that they have to have the temp drop. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-academy-podcast/ Episode 137 is on the T. Hoehnelii... might give it a listen.

I have an outdoor walk-in cage for Picasso and I use three fans at the moment... one from far and two close with natural breeze setting to great light breeze. I notice he will sit right at the spot where he can get nice breeze on him :)

Attachments

• 1266B153-3FE0-4867-BBFE-E326ECEF87CA.jpeg
    1266B153-3FE0-4867-BBFE-E326ECEF87CA.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 100
  • F7A58DA2-5E79-42A1-AFE5-3C08D7403F1B.jpeg
    F7A58DA2-5E79-42A1-AFE5-3C08D7403F1B.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 5FA9495F-C57F-4B71-AEFF-647AD1ADAE79.jpeg
    5FA9495F-C57F-4B71-AEFF-647AD1ADAE79.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 87
I have an outdoor walk-in cage for Picasso and I use three fans at the moment... one from far and two close with natural breeze setting to great light breeze. I notice he will sit right at the spot where he can get nice breeze on him :)
Wow that setup is amazing! Is that a nosy be? How old is he?

I have a glass enclosure with vents at bottom of doors and a mesh lid i have a small fan sitting on top of lid blowing straight up while the lights are on and it is off at night

which one is the best and which one should I buy?

Does the fan lower the temp as well?
There are a lot of good ones. Try a search for "ultra quiet muffin fan", compare noise (dB) and price, and read ratings—both good & bad.

Yes, it will lower the temp. I have such a system on my beardie box. When the temp at the top of the enclosure hits 90F, the fan kicks on until the temp drops to 88, then turns off. It draws fresh air through the remaining vents.

It's all automatic—got it from The Cooler Guys.

I don't think one will—or should—be necessary on a cham enclosure, but that will depend on circumstances. The heat from the basking light and/or plant lights should be enough to generate a chimney effect, automatically causing air to be drawn from the bottom and expelled through the top.

If anyone does use a muffin fan, I would monitor temps to make sure it isn't cooling down the basking area too much. :)

There are a lot of good ones. Try a search for "ultra quiet muffin fan", compare noise (dB) and price, and read ratings—both good & bad.

Yes, it will lower the temp. I have such a system on my beardie box. When the temp at the top of the enclosure hits 90F, the fan kicks on until the temp drops to 88, then turns off. It draws fresh air through the remaining vents.

It's all automatic—got it from The Cooler Guys.

I don't think one will—or should—be necessary on a cham enclosure, but that will depend on circumstances. The heat from the basking light and/or plant lights should be enough to generate a chimney effect, automatically causing air to be drawn from the bottom and expelled through the top.

If anyone does use a muffin fan, I would monitor temps to make sure it isn't cooling down the basking area too much. :)
Now I have └|∵|┐♪ do you know the muffin fan the muffin fan the muffin fan ♪┌|∵|┘♪ stuck in my head, instead of muffin man lmao

Back
Top Bottom