Falling

damzlfly

Hi all, hoping you can help. My male Nosy faly likes to climb the mesh in his enclosure, which is great, but the problem is that the little holes are too small for him to get a good grip on and he has a tendency to fall.. how far is too far?! Its a large mesh enclosure a good size for him, but wtf? I'm worried he'd gonna break something! I have tones of vines and an umbrella plant for him to climb over, but he likes the mesh. Ideas?

edit: I pushed over his tree to be closer to the mesh...hope this helps. I noticed hes checking out his lady in the cage next door...and apparently I'm having upload issues :s

Attachments

• IMG_1291.jpg
    IMG_1291.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 128
If he keeps falling I would put something on the bottom of the cage to break his fall. Can you share a pic of your enclosure?

What if you went to your local craft store and found some sort of mesh material that has larger holes that you can attach to the inside of the enclosure? Or even go to a hardware store and see what type of screens they have that may have bigger holes for him to grip. You can just use strong velcro to attach them to the inside of the enclosure this way when it comes time to clean all you have to do is take them off the velcro, rinse them off, put them back in!

Hi all, hoping you can help. My male Nosy faly likes to climb the mesh in his enclosure, which is great, but the problem is that the little holes are too small for him to get a good grip on and he has a tendency to fall.. how far is too far?! Its a large mesh enclosure a good size for him, but wtf? I'm worried he'd gonna break something! I have tones of vines and an umbrella plant for him to climb over, but he likes the mesh. Ideas?

they can take a fall of up to 4 or 5 feet max. my panther was on the top of my 4 foot tall reptarium and fell to the floor but at that time i had alot of soft paper towel in there he was just fine

they can take a fall of up to 4 or 5 feet max. my panther was on the top of my 4 foot tall reptarium and fell to the floor but at that time i had alot of soft paper towel in there he was just fine

ok good to know, its only 3 ft tall....BUT STILL! my cham is whacked

4500686007_5205ee29c5_m.jpg

4500683455_0df093d067_m.jpg

4501315472_fa52763118_m.jpg

Are you planning on putting those cages up on a table at some point? I think chameleons like to be the ones looking down on the rest of the room. Also, you said he caught a glimpse of the female. Might it be better to put something in between to cut off the view? From what I understand, she's more likely to develop unfertilized eggs if she sees a male.

ok good to know, its only 3 ft tall....BUT STILL! my cham is whacked

Give the dude a break! This is the time of year when males start acting a bit crazy looking for food and females after a long winter. Its all part of nature.

I use the 1/2 inch plastic netting they have at home depot or lowes and cut pieces to attach to the inside of your cages. I personally use fishing line or bread ties to hold them up without damaging screen. Another thing you can do its put a towel over the top part of the cage if he is trying to push out of it or rubbing on it... That will generally stop them from trying to get thru the screen.

See ya,

Todd

Are you planning on putting those cages up on a table at some point? I think chameleons like to be the ones looking down on the rest of the room. Also, you said he caught a glimpse of the female. Might it be better to put something in between to cut off the view? From what I understand, she's more likely to develop unfertilized eggs if she sees a male.

Shes actually gravid at the moment. And they used to be housed together for a few months for breeding...i think he misses her lol. And yes, eventually I will raise them, right no theres no $ for it :S

Give the dude a break! This is the time of year when males start acting a bit crazy looking for food and females after a long winter. Its all part of nature.

Hahahah ya true enugh eh? I just dont want to put something between them for fear of future mating problems. They are used to being housed separately as well as together. Probably just the typical male brain eh? :p

He probably feels too low down and is anxious about the female. Try lifting the cage and putting up a divider.

Shes actually gravid at the moment. And they used to be housed together for a few months for breeding...i think he misses her lol. And yes, eventually I will raise them, right no theres no $ for it :S

You cant get a card table or anything like that? I would get them off that floor ASAP!

Hahahah ya true enugh eh? I just dont want to put something between them for fear of future mating problems. They are used to being housed separately as well as together. Probably just the typical male brain eh? :p

Put a divider of some sort between the cages so they cant see each other. A towel, cardboard etc. If he cant see her then he should settle settle down. At the moment if he can see her then he wants to get lucky. As for future breeding it doesn't matter if he can see her or not.....he will do the deed when you put them together....its instinct and that is all it is :rolleyes:

I do think the cages are great though! I love that "cube" look.

I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about the cages being on the floor.

Damlzfly, can you work something up? Maybe pull a couple of pieces of furniture together and piece of plywood on top?

I seriously have nothing atm to put them on...I will look for something tho I promise!! And I will put a towel between them..I was wondering if that was why. Thanks guys!!!

For cages that size: The ikea 8 dollar coffee tables would be useful. At least temporarily to get them a couple feet higher.

Back
Top Bottom