Help!

ChamelaChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I rearranged Carmelo's enclosure a few weeks ago. I only moved 2 branches. Last week, I found him on the bottom of the enclosure. He never ventures down to the bottom and he looked shocked. I assumed he fell. A few minutes ago, I said hello to Carmelo. While I was feeding Bolt and the hoppers, I turned to talk to Carmelo and could not find him. He had fallen to the bottom of the enclosure. His grip is really strong, he had 2 recent trips to the Vet. His blood work was good and he is parasite free. I don't know his age. Could he be falling because of his age? Or could it be related to the rearrangement of his enclosure? Do I need to lower everything in his enclosure to get him closer to the bottom? I'm a nervous wreck!😭

chameleons dont fall
chameleons dont miss

If they are doing this, something is wrong. On the bright side chameleons are designed to fall onto the forest floor from unlimited heights. Its a defense mechanism, drop and run. So as long as there are not rocks or flowerpots etc with hard edges, you are good with the drops. Now you just have to find out why they are dropping since you say its got a good grip. I dont think its as dumb as "i bet i can make it to that stick" and just misses, but i have seen that on non tree adventures on furniture.

Before:
20231018_121345.jpg

I removed his Pothos.

After:
20231119_165946.jpg
20231119_190320.jpg
20231120_000707.jpg

I removed 2 upper branches at the back. Added a pvc pipe and closet hangers to support the huge pothos and returned the pothos to the enclosure. I didn't move bottom branches.

Attachments

• 20231018_121345.jpg
    20231018_121345.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 20
Are you sure he’s falling and not climbing down to the floor? Lucky has the habit of climbing down a few times a day while doing his perimeter patrols.

Is he ok now? Any sign that he got hurt? I wonder if they develop a muscle memory where everything is and he fell because he reached for something that is no longer there.

Just a few possibilities…
Do some of the branches have no bark on them? Maybe he’s unable to get a good grip?

Could he be trying to walk on the PCV pipe and falling off?

Could he be trying to step onto the plant leaves and they don’t support him?

Google around the site for "grabbing own limbs" it is a known aliment in chams. Sorry dont know which deficiency causes it.

Just a few possibilities…
Do some of the branches have no bark on them? Maybe he’s unable to get a good grip?

Could he be trying to walk on the PCV pipe and falling off?

Could he be trying to step onto the plant leaves and they don’t support him?
The pothos is large. The pvc is burried by the Pothos leaves. The pothos pot would prevent him from falling. He could be trying to step on the leaves. I've grabbed more branches. Tomorrow I'm gonna add more branches towards the bottom and fill in any upper spaces with branches. I was headed to work so I haven't seen him since the fall but my daughter is keeping watch and reported he seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom