Fake Plants - Bad idea???

snookey266

I was reading the very informative article written and posted by Eric. He mentioned in this article that Chameleons can choke on artifical plants trying to eat them. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? How many of you use fake greenery? I guess I never really considered it being a problem and have never read that before. Im sure it could happen - anything can happen!

http://webspinners.com/coloherp/cb-news/Vol-33/cbn-0604/Veiled.php

I was reading the very informative article written and posted by Eric. He mentioned in this article that Chameleons can choke on artifical plants trying to eat them. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? How many of you use fake greenery? I guess I never really considered it being a problem and have never read that before. Im sure it could happen - anything can happen!

http://webspinners.com/coloherp/cb-news/Vol-33/cbn-0604/Veiled.php

I use fake leaf things and never once had a problem nor have i heard of a cham chomping down on some fakie plants but like you stated anything can happen any cham can get curious best thing is to have real live plants so if he does grab a bite its harmless :p

okay - makes me feel better! I have fake ones and real ones in my enclosures. My heart dropped when I read that! LOL! Thanks for the information - I guess I am not such a bad Cham parent!

I use them also without problems SO FAR.

But I would think that as they get older, the plastic will get more brittle and have a greater potential to become a problem. That being said perhaps fake plants are a viable alternative, but still should be monitored carefully.

Hope that helps
OPI

I use both. Helps because the females eat the hybiscus faster than it can grow so the fake plants help fill in the holes. There are no munchie marks on the fakies.

my cham used to bite a fake plant.. it kinda looked like small maple leaves.. he would bite then pull back and kinda scrape a bit off havent noticed any ill effects although i took it out of the enclosure

Back
Top Bottom