Paranoid Newbie???

I should also state Frances has always been Caught early at the stage of URI . All x-rays have Shown clear lungs . Not pneumonia !!. Though with her last 2 URI she had a very hard time breathing was for sure gasping for air , these methods had to be used along with injection not oral medication . I feel for this little one .

Hey @Andee, thank you for all the suggestions. Like you mentioned above, I opted to leave him at the vet so he could be monitored and have immediate care, as I work today and I want to give him every chance I can at kicking this LRI. I read a lot about reptile RI's (LRIs and URIs) last night because of everyone's advice, and it was how I quickly identified it for myself once I saw those bubbles, so everyone's advice really helped me care for him. I'm immensely grateful.

I will MOST DEFINTELY invest in a warm air humidifier when Hugh comes home. I read a lot about those last night as well, and they seem an excellent resource to have around in general if any chameleons are feeling under the weather. And thanks for the advise on the white thyme, I will stop by the health food store this afternoon and look for some to add into the humidifier once he recovers and is home.

The doctor did mention pneumonia and doing x-rays; but I mean he was spitting up bubbles so I'm pretty sure it is going to be a yes, which was what I felt like he was bracing me for. Trying to remain optimistic though, I'll keep everyone updated.

Just breathe, you freaking out will not help. Currently at least it's not your fault, he came to you in poor condition. So at least that weight is off your shoulders. Now it's just about keeping him going until hopefully the antibiotics can work. So showers, high humidity, higher temps will be your friend. If you don't have higher temps at night, like a ceramic heat emitter I strongly recommend that, though it's usually good for a drop in temp for chams, this guy needs higher heat. Increase day time temps from 85 to around 87-88 to keep him warm, night temps with the ceramic heater should be around 70-75 so usually a 60 watt or so ceramic heat emitter works for that. Just keep him a few degrees warmer, increase warm humidity through out the day regularly and use the thyme (though sparingly) a small amount will go a long way. It just keeping him going until you can kick this sickness to hell and back. Hopefully he will drink and keep hydrated enough while taking meds that it won't be an issue with the showers, misting, and extra humidity that it won't be too much an issue.

Hey @Andee, thank you for all the suggestions. Like you mentioned above, I opted to leave him at the vet so he could be monitored and have immediate care, as I work today and I want to give him every chance I can at kicking this LRI. I read a lot about reptile RI's (LRIs and URIs) last night because of everyone's advice, and it was how I quickly identified it for myself once I saw those bubbles, so everyone's advice really helped me care for him. I'm immensely grateful.

I will MOST DEFINTELY invest in a warm air humidifier when Hugh comes home. I read a lot about those last night as well, and they seem an excellent resource to have around in general if any chameleons are feeling under the weather. And thanks for the advise on the white thyme, I will stop by the health food store this afternoon and look for some to add into the humidifier once he recovers and is home.

The doctor did mention pneumonia and doing x-rays; but I mean he was spitting up bubbles so I'm pretty sure it is going to be a yes, which was what I felt like he was bracing me for. Trying to remain optimistic though, I'll keep everyone updated.
Frances has always had Mucus in huge bubbles and did not have pneumonia . Hopefully the X-ray and cultures will be negative . I will pray for that .

Unfortunately my Hugh passed away this afternoon at the vet's office. The vet was busy and said he'd talk with me more this evening when I stop by to pay my bill, but his assistant called and said, like they told me this morning, he was just too small and malnourished/dehydrated.

I'm crushed and financially broke, but I will take this opportunity to correct my husbandry (thanks to everyone's suggestions) and find a more reputable breeder with healthy babies to start with.

Thank you again to everyone who helped and comforted me during my short stint as a chameleon owner.

*hugs* I am so sorry hun, sadly it really is important especially in the beginning to start out with a healthy one. I doubt even someone more experienced with rehabs could have brought him back from that brink. He was so tiny and so sick. Allow yourself time to grieve, get your funds, and all the time research and ask questions, there is always so much to learn every day <3 Looking for the right breeder and species you want does take time, and allow yourself that time, get to know who you would like. Get in contact with the breeders and see who you mesh with the best. You will never regret it <3

I'm so sorry to hear this . As @Andee said not even the best of the best would have had a better outcome . Keep researching and talking with keepers . Get as much info as you can . I'm very sorry for your loss .

Congrats!!! I hope you do well with your little guy!! One thing I noticed was your using water conditioner by zoomed that's great!! But you want to be sure your not using to much or to less. This could hurt your chameleon having purified water is very important. I also used zoomed water conditioner, but soon regretted it! Used purified water!

I am so so sorry for your loss..
We were all pulling for Hugh, but we knew his chances were slim with those symptoms at such a young age. RIP, little guy. Perhaps he'll be playing with my two girls I lost up in Chammie Land.

Please, when you are ready, go with a reputable breeder. Be patient, do your research, ask every question you have. It's not worth risking it on a poorly cham and dealing with heartbreak a second time

I am so so sorry for your loss..
We were all pulling for Hugh, but we knew his chances were slim with those symptoms at such a young age. RIP, little guy. Perhaps he'll be playing with my two girls I lost up in Chammie Land.

Please, when you are ready, go with a reputable breeder. Be patient, do your research, ask every question you have. It's not worth risking it on a poorly cham and dealing with heartbreak a second time

I definitely agree there. I take in rehabs and rescues regularly, a few I have lost during their rehab, some I have put down myself because I knew there was no hope. And then there are those who blow my expectations out of the water. But I always try to have one healthy cham while doing this, otherwise it really does kill you more than it should.

Thanks everyone. It sucks sitting here looking at Hugh's cage and wishing I could have given more, but after reading several posts on this forum including @Traildrifterphalanx, I've definitely learned how IMPORTANT it is to start with a healthy chameleon (his whole thread was really motivating and educational, thanks for putting that all out there).

I'm definitely going to get HughTwo (nod to Pokémon) in the next month or so, but I'm going to take my time in between to fill my cage with MUCH more plants, purchase a long hood-light for softer lighting, get a MistKing system (and a tank heater for the reservoir, what wattage do you use @Kristen Wilkins?), and get a multivitamin that has Vitamin A in it (anyone have any specific suggestions? What I was using was listed up top FYI, but I'm now aware I need to change the multivitamin up).

Someone in my thread above mentioned that the ReptiSafe I used to condition his water might not be that safe for them? Does anyone here have any experience with this, or thoughts on the subject? With Hugh, I just used tap water and then that product to make the tap water "safe". My dad has used it for his box turtles since forever and I listed it in my husbandry and didn't get any comments regarding it, so I felt like it was safe.

Also, after reading through @Traildrifterphalanx thread, I'm more encouraged to get the little guy outside in the sun, and not be so worrisome about handling him occasionally once-a-day or every other day (it seemed to me at least?). With Hugh, I was too nervous to even touch the little guy or get him on my finger LOL.

Thanks everyone. It sucks sitting here looking at Hugh's cage and wishing I could have given more, but after reading several posts on this forum including @Traildrifterphalanx, I've definitely learned how IMPORTANT it is to start with a healthy chameleon (his whole thread was really motivating and educational, thanks for putting that all out there).

I'm definitely going to get HughTwo (nod to Pokémon) in the next month or so, but I'm going to take my time in between to fill my cage with MUCH more plants, purchase a long hood-light for softer lighting, get a MistKing system (and a tank heater for the reservoir, what wattage do you use @Kristen Wilkins?), and get a multivitamin that has Vitamin A in it (anyone have any specific suggestions? What I was using was listed up top FYI, but I'm now aware I need to change the multivitamin up).

Someone in my thread above mentioned that the ReptiSafe I used to condition his water might not be that safe for them? Does anyone here have any experience with this, or thoughts on the subject? With Hugh, I just used tap water and then that product to make the tap water "safe". My dad has used it for his box turtles since forever and I listed it in my husbandry and didn't get any comments regarding it, so I felt like it was safe.

Also, after reading through @Traildrifterphalanx thread, I'm more encouraged to get the little guy outside in the sun, and not be so worrisome about handling him occasionally once-a-day or every other day (it seemed to me at least?). With Hugh, I was too nervous to even touch the little guy or get him on my finger LOL.
Hi @dtnichols109 lighting are you asking ?

I again am glad that others are using my thread to learn from my experiences. It really, really sucked to lose not just my one baby, but my second baby right after, and I will forever mourn their losses and try and think about how I could have saved them both.

It was definitely the second loss that made me step back and re-evaluate everything that I was doing and get serious. Not that anything particularly was wrong about the husbandry, but the mist king really makes me feel a lot of peace of mind, so I highly recommend it. No more worrying about the temperature of the spray bottle, or saturating everything around me. The location feels less cramped, and while there is less natural light, it's a calming area to better the health of the chameleon, not to mention gives purpose to that room. I LOVE having that enclosure in the other room, like it's his own little bedroom.

I am, unfortunately, a very hands-on person. So far all of my babies have seemed content being held, as long as the phone never shows up, but taking them outside is really great for them, and I'd love to get V accustomed to outside trips before the sun starts setting at 4pm and it's pure overcast.

I love the name HughTwo (geek power!) and really look forward to how you turned this loss into something amazing for HughTwo. I'd recommend going a little older, V is a juvi rather than a baby, and definitely recommend the mist system. Frustrating setup, but huge payoff.

Worth noting - sorry to keep talking -Paypal credit offers 6mo no interest on purchases over $99. That's how I financed the mist king. $20/mo for 6mo

Worth noting - sorry to keep talking -Paypal credit offers 6mo no interest on purchases over $99. That's how I financed the mist king. $20/mo for 6mo
The Mister is so worth it , one can still hand mist , we do still . If you can't get home there's never a panic . Chameleon care is expensive initially . Once there set up and correctly not so bad . Unless one is taking in rehabs or has one like Frances whom see's vets frequent . Chameleon bank accounts is needed (y).

Back
Top Bottom