Eye swelling problem

mikeb666

Hi all,

I have a problem with my 11 month of nosey be panther. The bottom of his eyes seem to be swollen, hes acting normal. doesnt eat quite as much has he used to but i guess now hes fully grown he wont eat as much as when he was growing,

The cage i use is 4 by 2 by 2 foot.
I use a powersun 100watt bulb.
basking temp around 90 and ambient temp around 80 - 85.
I have one live umbrella tree in the cage.

Any one have any ideas what it could be, its been like it for about a week now, and doesnt seem to be getting any worse. please see my photos of the eye.

thanks for any help.

Mike

Attachments

• eye1.jpg
    eye1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 186
  • eye2.jpg
    eye2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 232
  • cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 196
Make sure he is drinking also move that light to a corner so he can get away from it . He should be a foot away from it. I also use a piece of plywood for shade on half of the top of the cage so he can get away from the uv and the heat.

yea hes drinking like normal. So you think that the reason for his eyes swelling might be too much light? there is alot of leafage in the cage so he can find shade very easily.

Ok im soo glad someone posted this cuz surprisingly im having the same problem! not in the same spot though. I have a 4-5 month old nosy be and i got him when he was about 2 months. And after i got him i noticed a bump in the corner of his eye. It wasnt bothering him he was eating and drinking fine. Now hes older and theres another bump on his other eye smaller of course. While the first one is slightly bigger!! Im not sure what it could be its not bothering him...he eats like 5-6 crickets a day and he drinks? i dunno whats up any one have any ideas im startin to get worried.

Howdy,

This is something that some of us have seen in our own and in other chameleons. I haven't found what I'd consider a satisfactory answer yet. In many of the instances, no underlying health issue was ever uncovered and the chameleon continued to thrive. Although I don't think your chameleon has one, eye infections are always a concern with chameleons. The infections don't have to start with the eyes but can end-up there anyway. I wish I had a better answer :(. Keep watching for any changes and don't hesitate to see a good chameleon vet.

Hi all,
I use a powersun 100watt bulb.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I believe it is still recommended to have the PowerSun at least 18" from your cham. I would get a stand, or place a hook in ceiling so you can adjust the height until you can get temps and distance right.

I have nosy be (will be 2 in Dec) who has a dry eye problem (I live in the northeastern US which has very dry, cold winters) and he punctured his eye globe from rubbing last year :( The eye he had the trouble with has a bit of that droopiness similar to yours but without the swelling. He is doing fine but I have to be diligent about his humidity. How is the humidity in his cage? Can you add some more live foliage below just to help maintain humidity? I just redid Cyrus' cage for the winter and did just that. Just some thoughts which may, or may not, help with this issue. I agree with Dave to keep an eye on it and maybe see a vet. Does he have any of the other usual respiratory symptoms? Stringy mucous in mouth? raspy/wheezy breathing?

lele

Ficus sap

Ficus sap can cause a swelling in the eyes of chams. Sometimes they like to eat the leaves and if the sap from the leaf gets in their eye(s) it can get swollen. Check the care sheet for chams on A-1 Reptiles www.a1reptiles.net they very informative.:)

hey , thanks for the help. The only problem if i raise the powersun bulb the temps in the cage become too low. At the moment the basking temp is around 90 - 95, and i believe that is just right for a fully grown panther, I will be getting him to the vets this week, His breathing seems normal and no stringy saliva.,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom