Eye problems with my Fischer's...

That is a female, and I do have one CH that started laying clutches shortly after 6 months and has never been bred. Get a laying bin in pronto.

She's had this animal for 2 years...if it were likely to lay unfertilized eggs, wouldn't it have done so earlier? (though, I suggested the laying bin regardless of her view on the gender of the animal and she has responded that she put a laying bin in.)

Other than the horns, what is it you see that makes you (and others) sure it's a female?

Do you think the weird weather California has had this year could cause this animal to suddenly, after 2 years, start to produce eggs?

See the "Fischer's" in my Avatar?-female. Females do indeed have shorter "horns".

I have had many species that have not laid eggs until after 2 years of age-I am sure it could be a variety of factors that could have caused it to lay now-if that is the case.

Julirs: No, laying eggs is not the case and my cham has never laid eggs, nor shown any signs (physically or behaviorally). The horns are small, but they are growing. I've examined previous pix and compared the horns to right now and they've def. gotten wider and longer, just very slowly. Plus the sex of my cham isn't my biggest concern right now...

*I've had the UVB light off for 3 days now and his eye hasn't improved...

Since I started giving him the turtle eye drops 2 days ago, his left eye, which was the healthy one, has not closed. He keeps it open at all times. His right eye, which was the problem one, is closed up even more now. I was gone most of the day yesterday, but I've been looking at him for a good several hours today and let him outside even, and his eye is completely closed up (Still no gunk or crustiness). He opened it for a second to look at me when I picked him up, but kept it very squinted and closed it practically immediately... I just looked at him right now and its like cracked open, but still closed...

Do chameleons have an inner eyelid or thin membrane that covers the eye? Cuz it almost looks like it....Actually I was taking pictures right now and he came towards me which he does when he's hungry cuz he knows I bring food. And I just watched him get a mealworm even with one eye closed. So his appetite is still good and he doesn't have a problem aiming.

Sorry my camera sucks so the pix are a bit blurry...

Eliza: That's a good idea about the shower curtain, I'll give it try.

Attachments

• DSCF8458.JPG
    DSCF8458.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF8463.JPG
    DSCF8463.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF8464.jpg
    DSCF8464.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF8465.JPG
    DSCF8465.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCF8467.JPG
    DSCF8467.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 117
Same Issues with Cham bought at same place

I purchased a panther at the same show and am having the same problems with him.
His eye looks exactly like your chams.

Poor baby, he looks really uncomfortable. I'm glad you are taking him to the vet. If it turns out both your chameleons came from the same place, I think you two need to get together and bring this to the store's attention.

I will say that from what I've seen, stores bring in a load of stock from outside sources in the days before a show so the problem may stem from a provider.

It is common for chams to have eye issues, so I seriously doubt that there is a connection to a show that happened in 2008.

The Reptiglo coils were not the most dangerous, and since it is over a year old I am having trouble thinking that could be the issue.

Now-no one should have a chameleon without a tube of Terramycin. I have never had to take a chameleon to the Vet with an eye issue (minus Oscar Oustalet-but his eye never developed-so not an infection). At early signs of eye issues you can simply apply Terramycin to the affected eye 2-3 times daily. After a few days, if the eye is not cleared up, off to the Vet for someting stronger.

I hope all turns out well for you little one at the Vet-keep us posted. Sometimes even supplements get in the eyes causing issues. It is often impossible to determine the true culprit.

Last edited:
I am definately curious to see how this turns out after the vet visit.

I am wondering if the chameleon ever has opportunity to sit in the rain or under a mister for extended periods of time. Sometimes if something gets in the eye it can become irritated and 20 minutes of rain or mist can help the lizard clean it out and get the eye open again.

I am wondering if the chameleon ever has opportunity to sit in the rain or under a mister for extended periods of time. Sometimes if something gets in the eye it can become irritated and 20 minutes of rain or mist can help the lizard clean it out and get the eye open again.

I've never misted him for that long....

And the vet hasn't returned my call.........might have to call them again....

Meantime I will mist him for 20 minutes and see what happens....

Eliza: Thank you for that post, that was a good thread, but I wonder which one he is....He sorta looks like all of them... o_0

You're welcome. I thought it was worth posting because those last pictures that Chris put up were of a male who's horns are not unlike those on your animal.

Let us know if the misting helps.

Its definitely a female. Here is a picture of a male. Do not pay attention to color, horn size or anything but the tail base. This is even a small male and he has a noticeably thicker tail base than yours. This is the best pic I can find to demonstrate but should get the point accross:eek:

Picture1138293.jpg

I love whatever that is hanging out of his mouth...my husband says no one ever posts gross pictures on his scanner site. I think he's jealous...

Here they are side by side...

Attachments

• bg.jpg
    bg.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 109
I love whatever that is hanging out of his mouth...my husband says no one ever posts gross pictures on his scanner site. I think he's jealous...

Here they are side by side...

LOL!!! That is a roach:D

Allwalksoflife... Its definitely a female. There should be no argument. Here are some opinions of mine:rolleyes:

He still eats (mealworms, waxworms, crickets, silkworms, and occasional fly or spider) and I've see him drink

Its great to see someone else who feeds spiders:) I am sure you are aware of what species your are feeding off?

Yes there are sub species under the classification of Fischer's Chameleon, but I'm unsure which he is exactly.

Kinyongia multituberculata female is what it is.

3. He eats mealworms, waxworms, crickets (pre-gutloaded but I keep them with fresh fruits and veggies 24-hr before I feed). He gets around 2-3 mealworms and 2 wax worms everyday- crickets every 2-3 days.

That is way too much food IMO. Some say mealworms are not a great food because of high chitin. Waxworms are very high in fat but can be offered more as an enrichment feeder. Regardless I feed my adult Kinyongia around 6 bugs every other day depending on what size and type of bug they are. Sometimes I make the adults go 3 or even 4 days with little to no food. It will not hurt them and will keep most of them wanting to eat. I would be feeding her the crickets more and also try to get flies, roaches, WC insects (when taken from a pesticide free source, of course) and worms such as horn worms or silk worms. These are much better for them.

4. I have Fluker's repta-calcium: vitamin D enriched which I dust his food like once, sometimes twice a week with.

This is a lot of D3 in that amount of time. Although I too only dust food once a week maybe even less. Although as Kinyonga said, others do it differently. The key is a GREAT gutloading regimen. Definitely get the calcium that is phosphorus and D3 free.

5. I spraymist him 2-3 times daily, making sure nearly all the leaves have water droplets on them. I do see him drinking.

You need a humidity gauge and then you may need a humidifier depending on how humid it is. I keep mine around 70% humidity throughout the day and even higher at night. As Carlton said, this species has high humidity and water requirements.

I don't have a temp gauge, but my apt never gets below 68 and never higher than 84 (during summer).

84 degrees is a bit high for them. I would not let ambient temps get over 80 and mine usually get about 77 during the day with a basking site of around 80 to 85 degrees. 68 degrees is not cool enough for this species. I let mine get below 60 degrees every night and this I feel is detrimental to cooler species health. This weekend I will be keeping everyone outside in temps of 75 to 80 during the day and 45 to 50 degrees at night.

She is a lovely looking girl!!! Hopefully a quick vet trip to get something for her eye will clear things up for her. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom