eye problems/questions

mlee5457

Ok i have read a lot of posts on eye swelling and what not on here. none seem to give me answers on what my little guy is doing. the only way to discribe it is to watch this video...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekuUeSfFEr4

He is a 3 1/2 month old Sambava Panther, i have had him for 11 days. since i first put him in the cage....the moment i got him i noticed him doing what is in the video! i just thought it was normal but yesterday the right eye was very swollen and puffed out bad! So i used the advise i read hear and sprayed him with bottle when he would open his eye again i would spray again. Within minutes the eye went back to normal. he still and always has done what you see in the video. today around lunch i noticed it again! it was fine this morning so i did the water thing and once again it went right down in minutes? has anyone seen this before? oh and his cage is all screen 12wx24Lx24h has a ficus binjamina, and branches dried from an oak tree, fake ivy vines. reptisun 5.0 and basking light 10-12 hours around 90-95 degrees. humidity stays above 50 usually 50-70% ive had him barly over a week and he has been eating gutloaded crickets pretty well, i would say 6 or 7, his su[pplement schedule is monday-herpivite tuesday-repcal, wedsday-mineral 0, thurs-herptivite, fri-repcal, sat-mineral 0, he also has a dripper that dripps 2-3 drops per minute

OMG!! that's exactly what my chameleon had!! i've been looking all over to see if anyone could figure out what was wrong but so far nobody has been able to help me. the swelling usually went down in less than 2 minutes though so i never had time to take a video. any help would be immensely appreciated on my end too

OMG!! that's exactly what my chameleon had!! i've been looking all over to see if anyone could figure out what was wrong but so far nobody has been able to help me. the swelling usually went down in less than 2 minutes though so i never had time to take a video. any help would be immensely appreciated on my end too

Yeah it's crazy! That eye buldging thing never stops though. He can see fine it seems and it's both eyes that does what is seen in video!
And your right the large swelling goes right away when I spray him

Yeah it's crazy! That eye buldging thing never stops though. He can see fine it seems and it's both eyes that does what is seen in video!
And your right the large swelling goes right away when I spray him

The thing about mine is i didnt rinse out his eye because i heard theres a chance that the reason why its swelling is because theres water trapped behind the eye duct. i dont think thats actually whats wrong though. mine starting doing it on the way home from the shop too and had been doing it off and on. i ended up taking it back to the shop so they can hold onto it for a few days though in case it was something i did and tyry to find out whatever i can in the meantime. i'm supposed to make my decision on whether i'm going to get him back or not today so if you find out ANYTHING please share it with me too

could you fill this out too btw?? i'd like to compare it with my own set up to see if maybe there's somethng in common.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage construction (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and type of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Bulging their eyes now and then is normal. Doing so constantly for days is not.

A vet examination would determine the cause of the eye issue, and what treatment is best.

There are many possible reasons for eye issues (infection, something in it irritating, something was in it causing a scratch, parasites, vitamin deficiencey, damage from UV, physcial defect, etc). People on this site can certainly provide suggestions and share similar experiences, but if the animal is displaying abnormal behaviour for days, a vet should be seen

Bulging their eyes now and then is normal. Doing so constantly for days is not.

A vet examination would determine the cause of the eye issue, and what treatment is best.

There are many possible reasons for eye issues (infection, something in it irritating, something was in it causing a scratch, parasites, vitamin deficiencey, damage from UV, physcial defect, etc). People on this site can certainly provide suggestions and share similar experiences, but if the animal is displaying abnormal behaviour for days, a vet should be seen

well it wast really days in a row. but i think 4 or 5 times in 3 weeks is a big deal. i've never seen my other do that and i had her for about a year.. it happened in both of its eyes too

This is common and usually a simple cause and as such is easy to remedy.

It could be anything from a piece of dirt, small insect, piece of shed skin, or any debris that got into the eye.

What you can do is spray the eye directly, constantly, as much as possible for several days, and put em in the shower (not too hot!) for 30 mins a day over those several days as well.

In addition to this, if it hasn't stopped after one or two days, you can continue the showers and spraying, and include some LIGHT rubbing of the eye with a Q-tip. This should be done from the outside -- inwards, as to try and coax the piece of debris out of the eye.

Usually spraying is enough, and the chameleon will be able to flush it out themselves.

Note: this is also a common practice for virtually all chameleons, whether they have stuff in the eye or not. It just a way of cleaning those complicated eyes.

well it wast really days in a row. but i think 4 or 5 times in 3 weeks is a big deal. i've never seen my other do that and i had her for about a year.. it happened in both of its eyes too

Okay then. That's good! Although it looks mighty weird, this is likely not a big deal. Check your humidity, increase warm spraying, possibly consider a gentle squirt of saline into each eye (just saline, not anti-ich antiredness contacts crap) if it keeps up.
If it does become a frequent thing, or if it leaves its eye closed, see a vet

This is common and usually a simple cause and as such is easy to remedy.

It could be anything from a piece of dirt, small insect, piece of shed skin, or any debris that got into the eye.

What you can do is spray the eye directly, constantly, as much as possible for several days, and put em in the shower (not too hot!) for 30 mins a day over those several days as well.

In addition to this, if it hasn't stopped after one or two days, you can continue the showers and spraying, and include some LIGHT rubbing of the eye with a Q-tip. This should be done from the outside -- inwards, as to try and coax the piece of debris out of the eye.

Usually spraying is enough, and the chameleon will be able to flush it out themselves.

Note: this is also a common practice for virtually all chameleons, whether they have stuff in the eye or not. It just a way of cleaning those complicated eyes.

that's good. i'm kinda nervous about trying to put stuff around his eye though and i dont think mine trusts me enough yet to go rubbing around his eye with q-tips. do you think just misting more could be efficient? i'd rather not stress him out. also, you really think that's what it is after seeing the video and not something more serious? the constant bulbing and massive swelling going back and forth from one side of the eye to the other seems pretty intense if it's just something in his eye.

oh one more thing, do you mean the small part of his eye that sees or around the actually bulbous part (the part that was bulging out and stuff)

Ok i have read a lot of posts on eye swelling and what not on here.

He is a 3 1/2 month old Sambava Panther, oh and his cage is all screen 12wx24Lx24h has a ficus binjamina,

Ok I have noticed one thing I have personally learned here, and HAVE WITNESED in my Panther / Ficus combination, "IS" eye problems! Do away with the Ficus tree, up its vitamin A and give it abit to go away! :)

he also has a dripper that dripps 2-3 drops per minute

Nothing to do with eyes but you might want to increase the flow a little, chams dont seem to notice really slow drips (from exp)

What your cham is doing looks normal to me, It happens every now and then, I think its just chameleon eye maintenance. That said if your really concerned and its constant, see your vet as advised. :)

What type of plant do you guys recomend? I thought of doing the shower thing but like I said he is just a baby and haven't had him a little over a week! He runs like crazy if I get close and won't let me hold him! I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not?

Back
Top Bottom