Eye Problem

laxerdude

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Female Pygmy Chameleon has been in my care for 4 months

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Not often

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
3wk crickets daily Gut-load using Cricket Crack

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Reptivite once a week

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I use a fogger as well as spray mister

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Last one I saw was dark brown with white urates. Wet. Im not sure about parasites

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

Glass terrarium

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

150W neodymium daylight lamp

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Its about 78 at the top to about 70 on the bottom

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

face plants with loose coconut fiber bedding

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Top of cage is about 4ft off the ground, not a high traffic area, no direct vent. There is a fan near it

Location - Where are you geographically located?

Albany, New York

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
My chameleon's right eye is swelling to about the size of a grape and is red. I will watch her as she tries to push something out of her eye and then it just swells up. It goes down within a minute. Most of the day she is fine. I will post pictures next time it happens

Most likely, there is something in her eye. A warm shower (with her INDIRECTLY in the water...dont pour it on her, have the "splash"/mist reach her). If not, you can try buying some TERRAMYCIN and applying it to her eye.

One quick thing about your setup: Are you SURE on your temps? if you have one of those dial-type thermometers they are typically very inaccurate/wrong. A 150W basking bulb seems REALLY strong!! Pygmys like it a little on the COOLER side (around room temp, 72-75F daytime and a roughly 10 degree drop at night) is ideal.

Since you have a pygmy, the rest of your setup seems ok. Your SUPPLEMENTS seem to be way too low, but I am not too familiar with pygmy supplementation but I know with my panther I give him multivit/calc+d3 every other sunday (twice a month each). I give him calcium (withOUT d3) daily.

For your feeding, what does "3 wk crickets" mean? You feed him 3 crickets a week??? what size?? (that seems like too little to me!)

i feed her about three crickets per day and the light is not too close so im pretty sure my thermometer is correct. the shower seemed like it helped a bit. although she has been sitting in one spot with her eyes closed alot

I agree with jojackson....if she is sitting in one spot with her eyes closed, thats not a good sign.

The reason I question your temps is because a 150W bulb is REALLY hot. You didn't specify the size of your enclosure? But even for my kingsnake whos basking spot is in the mid 90s, I only use a 75W bulb. Similarly on my panther I use a 60W clamp lamp that is roughly 12" away from his basking spot and that keeps him a cozy 85 there...in an all glass cage I could only imagine this to be stronger. if you are confident of your temps then thats good, but if you are measuring them with a dial-thermometer, imho, you can never be confident of them (because the error on those dials is way, way too large)

also, i am assuming your cham is WC. was it checked for parasites? how long did the previous owner have her ? what I'm getting at, as jojackson mentioned, is that it may very well be sick.

I'd recommend checking your supplementation and adjusting that asap; sorry I don't know what appropriate supplements for a pygmy are (but as i said before, it seems to me overall your supps are too little she has no calcium)

Back
Top Bottom