Eye Issues (Pics)

pablothepanther

Chameleon Info:

My Chameleon - Name: Bill Murray. Ambilobe, Ambanja mix, Male, 7 months old. Been in my care for 4 months. From Screameleons.

Handling - Well Bill has a funny habit of walking out onto the top of his cage door almost every time its open. He just hangs out up there, call me crazy, but it seems like he's very curious about the world outside his enclosure. In order to get him back in, all I have to do is offer him my hand and he climbs on. With the exception of sometimes walking to the window for some fresh morning sunlight, I usually put him right back in.

Feeding - The majority of his diet is crickets, but he gets one or two superworms a day. He eats 5-7 crickets every day. I dust with Herpcare calcium almost every feeding and D3 once a month. As far as gut loading goes, we take things like kale, dandelion greens, acorn squash, orange, and apple, and other stuff on the gut load list and blend it all together with some water. Once its mush we pour it onto a wax paper covered cookie sheet and freeze it over night. After that we cut the sheet into cubes and those cubes are what we feed the crickets.

Watering - He has a constant drip going along with hand misting a few times a day. I just started giving him showers and he seems to enjoy them. Every morning, as soon as I fill his dripper he goes and puts his head under it. My girlfriend's convinced he's taking his morning shower, who knows. But we see him drink regularly.

Fecal Description - Latley his feces has been covered in mucus. He was tested for parasites less than a month ago and he came up clean.

History - I thought he had Mouth Rot because he had sort of a spot on his lips that lined up with a gap in his teeth. But when we went to the vet she said she was sure it wasn't mouth rot, and deduced that he probably chomped down on something he shouldn't have.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Reptibreeze screen enclosure, as of last week the dimensions are 24 X 24 X 48 inches.

Lighting - ZooMed ReptiSun 5.0 combined with a Exo Terra Sun Glo 100W daylight bulb. They're both set on a 12 hour cycle.

Temperature - During the day the top of the cage is around 90F and the bottom is arounf 80F. At night it gets to about 70-75F. I have a thermometer at both the top and the bottom of his enclosure.

Humidity - Its usualy between 65 and 75 depending on when I mist. I had 2 umbrella plants in there but the last one died about 3 weeks ago.

Placement - We're on the third floor so it gets pretty hot in the summer, there's one ceiling fan but no A/C. There is one air vent near him but its not used in the summer, we plan on moving him before we have to turn on the heat. The top of the cage is between 6 and 7 feet off the floor.

Location - I am in Cleveland, Ohio.

Current Problem - Currently I am concerned because Bill's left eye has been looking a little bigger than his right. Also he has been pushing it around inside his socket a lot, as well as rubbing it on things in his cage. I'm not sure if this is relevant but it's on the same side that I thought he had mouth rot on.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Alex

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 119
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 135
I dont really see anything wrong with the eye.
If hes been moving it around and rubbing it, he probably has something in it. Has he recently shed? I would suggest going and getting some regular saline, and putting a drop in his eye, this can help remove w/e it is.
the mucus you are seeing on his poo is probably from the worms, I would cut back on the superworms simply bc thye are covered in a hard exo skeleton that can cause impaction. If you really want to feed him worms everyday, get calciworms.
Also, his temps are a bit high, most people keep them around 85, however, if he is not gaping, and he is still basking at the highest point, then it may not be a problem. the tmeps may or may not have anything to do with his eye problem though.

Thanks Camimom.

He shed about 2 days ago. Can I go to any drugstore and get saline for him? That would be nice because the closest vet to me is an hour away.

I moved his light up so its a little cooler in there now.

Thanks Camimom.

He shed about 2 days ago. Can I go to any drugstore and get saline for him? That would be nice because the closest vet to me is an hour away.

I moved his light up so its a little cooler in there now.

Did the eye issue start around that time?
and yes oyu can, its just regular saline from like cvs or whatever. no vet required.

And good. Let me know how he does.

Back
Top Bottom