Eye is acting weird ....

Daphne

Hello. Novice here. My 5 month old Ambilobe Panther Magnus has been doing something odd with his left eye the last day or so. Closing it and rolling it around and keeping the eye open ever so slightly. I'm calling to make a vet appt this morning with the local chameleon Dr. but in the mean time I was thinking it might have something to do with the lighting. I have the Reptibreeze XL with a 24in T5H0 5.0 currently, is it about time to switch to the 10.0 or will that cause damage? I have caught him basking a lot the last few days but the distance from him to bulb is about 9inches so it couldn't be a burn, right? Just looking for some ideas to get a jump start.

Attachments

• 4E50F05E-BF0A-48D6-ACB3-BC51EF4F87BF.jpeg
    4E50F05E-BF0A-48D6-ACB3-BC51EF4F87BF.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 115
From what you are describing it sounds like he is cleaning his eye. But if he is not keeping it open there is probably an issue. Does this happen while misting or just randomly? Also, is he due for a shed? I don’t think it’s the lighting if it’s only one eye, but I could be wrong.

From what you are describing it sounds like he is cleaning his eye. But if he is not keeping it open there is probably an issue. Does this happen while misting or just randomly? Also, is he due for a shed? I don’t think it’s the lighting if it’s only one eye, but I could be wrong.
Agreed this sounds like a normal cleaning. I would be concerned if he was doing that and then keeping it closed.

Hey! As long as he isnt holding his eye closed after cleaning it he should be fine :)

Also I've pretty much determined that our babies are definitely not the age we were told. They are no older than 4 months possibly even younger. Hope your babies are doing well! Pesto is growing like a weed!

Hey! As long as he isnt holding his eye closed after cleaning it he should be fine :)

Also I've pretty much determined that our babies are definitely not the age we were told. They are no older than 4 months possibly even younger. Hope your babies are doing well! Pesto is growing like a weed!
I was just thinking the same about the pic you posted he looks younger then the 5 months.

Hello. Novice here. My 5 month old Ambilobe Panther Magnus has been doing something odd with his left eye the last day or so. Closing it and rolling it around and keeping the eye open ever so slightly. I'm calling to make a vet appt this morning with the local chameleon Dr. but in the mean time I was thinking it might have something to do with the lighting. I have the Reptibreeze XL with a 24in T5H0 5.0 currently, is it about time to switch to the 10.0 or will that cause damage? I have caught him basking a lot the last few days but the distance from him to bulb is about 9inches so it couldn't be a burn, right? Just looking for some ideas to get a jump start.

It seems pretty normal and you are taking the right steps. Just ensure he is hydrated, because it will help him clean his eye. Try some bask time in sunshine and see how the eye behaves. Mine does that more frequently when she is gonna shed.

So a few things here... I just went through something similar. More then likely if it is just one eye he has something in it. He is rolling it because he is trying to clean it. You can add misting sessions but be sure your basking lamp is off for about 30 minutes so he is not at risk of and RI. It took a day and four 2-3 minute misting sessions for my boy to get the eye flushed and start holding it open again.

As far as the lighting. If you have a single t5HO fixture you need a 5.0 bulb but at 9 inches down for basking he is getting low levels of UVB. If you are running a quad you need a 10.0 because of having the four bulbs in one reflector. at 9 inches down there are low levels of UVB. The bulb will not harm him and he can not get a burn from it. optimal basking level is 7-8 inches down for both. Unless you have a solarmeter and can dial in your UVI exposure perfectly.

Last edited:
I was just thinking the same about the pic you posted he looks younger then the 5 months.
Yeah, I honestly think my guy is closer to 3 months than 4. Its possible @Daphne got one of the older clutch mates(though I only recall one being older and larger than Pesto and I dont think it was the one she got) but regardless, definitely not 5 months! @Rst_Cham visited Pesto recently and we compared her baby pictures to Pesto and all we can say is definitely not 5 months old!

so these pics are of Scarlett, the one we believe is related to Pesto :) Shes still so tiny to me. I stalk her everyday so I may not see the change but she's still really personable. :)

so these pics are of Scarlett, the one we believe is related to Pesto :) Shes still so tiny to me. I stalk her everyday so I may not see the change but she's still really personable. :)

Did you not get your Male from Billy also?

My goodness she is so small! How long ago did you get her again? Has it been a month yet? She looks about as small as Pesto was when I got him. It was around a month in when he started to really eat a lot and grow like crazy.

Yeah, I honestly think my guy is closer to 3 months than 4. Its possible @Daphne got one of the older clutch mates(though I only recall one being older and larger than Pesto and I dont think it was the one she got) but regardless, definitely not 5 months! @Rst_Cham visited Pesto recently and we compared her baby pictures to Pesto and all we can say is definitely not 5 months old!
The male pictured above is from a different clutch and family all together. When we got him they made sure we could breed if we wanted to.

Did you not get your Male from Billy also?

My goodness she is so small! How long ago did you get her again? Has it been a month yet? She looks about as small as Pesto was when I got him. It was around a month in when he started to really eat a lot and grow like crazy.
She's the one I acquired Memorial Day weekend. We got her as a boy and then she was a girl, haha. So since I paid for a male they gifted her to me for incorrectly sexing her. She was super tiny then. She eats and rubs around. Just is still super small. Judging by photos I'm guessing she was a hatchling when they gave her your me :/ I've read that's bad but things have turned out well so far.

Shame on whom ever you bought him from to tell you that he was older then he really is. It’s like you said he appears to be closer to the 3-4 month range.

She's the one I acquired Memorial Day weekend. We got her as a boy and then she was a girl, haha. So since I paid for a male they gifted her to me for incorrectly sexing her. She was super tiny then. She eats and rubs around. Just is still super small. Judging by photos I'm guessing she was a hatchling when they gave her your me :/ I've read that's bad but things have turned out well so far.
Oh, I got the male from Billy but the female was from a clutch Chris had. They've done nothing but be super helpful and patient with me so I'm not too worried. I just want to make sure that I'm providing the best quality care I can as a new owner.

Now that I think about it he is due for a shed soon. That wound make sense. It's been about 3 wks since his last one.

Shame on whom ever you bought him from to tell you that he was older then he really is. It’s like you said he appears to be closer to the 3-4 month range.
Yeah, both mine and Daphnes babies were sold to us way younger than they should have been. I dont think my Pesto was more than a month old when I brought him home and as a new keeper I was very overwhelmed. I'm just glad I was able to keep him alive through his more fragile period lol. The breeder we got them from was very nice, even allowed @CamoChameleonsHuman to return the boy he got for a full refund. I was just already attached by that point and didnt want to have to drive all the way back down to the springs :LOL:

Yeah, both mine and Daphnes babies were sold to us way younger than they should have been. I dont think my Pesto was more than a month old when I brought him home and as a new keeper I was very overwhelmed. I'm just glad I was able to keep him alive through his more fragile period lol. The breeder we got them from was very nice, even allowed @CamoChameleonsHuman to return the boy he got for a full refund. I was just already attached by that point and didnt want to have to drive all the way back down to the springs :LOL:
I'm much happier with my Tye-Dye anyways! Those breeders at Nuts Over Chameleons are amazing!
20190708_134421.jpg

Back
Top Bottom