Eye Infection??

MeAndBean

:(Chameleon Info: Bean is a baby veiled chameleon.
Your Chameleon - He is a male veiled, and I think he is about six weeks. I've had him for about a week.
Handling - I hold him for about five minutes every day, longer if I need to clean his cage. I will not hold him if he doesn't willingly come onto my hand.
Feeding - Right now he is eating up to 10 small crickets a day. I also give him a couple of meal worms, but he doesn't seem to like those. I gutload my crickets with Flucker's liquid calcium, tropical fish food flakes, and I always keep an orange slice and a piece of collard green in there.
Supplements - Everyday I spray his food with Zilla calcium supplement food spray w/out D3, on the 1st and 15th I dust his food with Zoo Med Repti Calcuim with D3, and on the 28th I dust with Herptivite multivitamin (I haven't dusted with this yet)
Watering - I have a misting system that mists his cage four times a day for forty seconds. Between mistings I spray the leaves with warm water to keep it humid.
Fecal Description - Um he poops 3-4 times a day. It's like a light brownish with the white part. He's never been tested for parasites.
History - I've noticed sometimes he closes one eye. He's never moved around with his eyes closed- just while he's sitting.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - He has a 24 by 24 by 48 screen cage. He's pretty small, so I put his food bowl on top of a box so he can find food easily. He has had no problem climbing down there and eating.
Lighting - I have a Zilla Tropical UV light, and he has two basking lights in different spots. The one he's usually under is about 80 degrees F, and the one on the opposite side of the cage a 12 volt red bulb. His lights are on from 7am to 8pm.
Temperature - Cage floor is about 72, and basking spot is about 80 degrees.
Humidity - I have a humidity thermometer on the opposite side of the mister, and that usually reads at 30%.
Plants - I have one live pothos plant.
Placement - The cage is in the living room, not near fans or vents.
Where are you geographically located? Arizona

Current Problem - Sometimes, but not very often, I noticed that one of his eyes are closed during the day. It's not the same eye every time.

I'll try to upload pictures of him, his eye, and his cage.

the humidity could be your problem. 30% is very low. Think about how our skin and eyes dry out when the humidity is low. Also, I would not use fish flakes as gut load. Liquid calcium is not considered a gutload either. Try using more fruits and veggies such as mustard greens, kale, carrots, apples, sweet peppers etc.

the humidity could be your problem. 30% is very low. Think about how our skin and eyes dry out when the humidity is low. Also, I would not use fish flakes as gut load. Liquid calcium is not considered a gutload either. Try using more fruits and veggies such as mustard greens, kale, carrots, apples, sweet peppers etc.
Thank you. Do you have any tips on how to keep the humidity in? It's hard because of the screen cage.

Back
Top Bottom