Eye bulging and white puss thing... help

Hello everyone. So I have a chameleon named Heisenberg (Heis for short) who is going to be 1 year old in June. So today when I was going to feed him his meal worms (we are going to switch to crickets and silk worms soon) I noticed that his left eye was super swollen and darkish. Then he bulged his eye out and then pulled it back in. And over the past week he has kept that eye shut but I figured it was dry or something so I did some research and put solution in his eye. It seemed to help but I have been having to do this regularly just so he could open his eye to see. Anyway, today it was extremely puffed up and he kept sucking it in and then puffing it out. So i brought him out of his cage (he likes being handled and around ppl that he's used to) and took a closer look at his eye. I then saw a chunk of something underneath his eye skin or whatever thats called. Anyway he kept bulging his eye out and sucking it in. So i put a little solution on it to help him get out whatever was in there. He then started to rub his eye on me pretty hard. I could see the bump in his eye start to move towards his pupil. I didn't touch his eye because I did not want to do something wrong but I saw that whatever was in his eye was covering his pupil and he was pushing it out. When it finally came out of his eye it looked like a solid puss substance and the chunk that came out was relatively big for his little eye. Another piece came out and i used a q-tip to help push it away. I managed to take some pictures on my phone but I still have to figure out how to get it on here. If anyone knows what this could be and some tips to help pls let me know ASAP.

heres some additional info: -cage size- 30 inches tall by 16 inches wide
-he's fed regularly about 8-9 small meal worms a day with his calcium powder daily
(I have a calendar with all the days he gets his food powdered)
-I mist him about 2-3 times a day (and his leaves)
-He gets about a hour maybe more of sunlight a day
if you need any more info let me know

Id make a vet appointment. Sounds like he may have something stuck in his eye turret that he is having trouble removing. This can cause infections if it hasnt already. In the mean time, increase misting duration or use the shower method to give him more time to use the mist to clan his eyes.

Id make a vet appointment. Sounds like he may have something stuck in his eye turret that he is having trouble removing. This can cause infections if it hasnt already. In the mean time, increase misting duration or use the shower method to give him more time to use the mist to clan his eyes.
yeah we thought he had something stuck in there but there is nothing in his eye, i will try the long misting though, and how do i do the shower method?

Meal worms have practically no food value at all...he needs a variety and stop the meal worms. Also if he is a year old he should be in a habitat that is at least 24X24X48 inches. And I agree he needs to see a vet. Sometimes eye problems show up because there is an underlying problem.

Meal worms have practically no food value at all...he needs a variety and stop the meal worms. Also if he is a year old he should be in a habitat that is at least 24X24X48 inches. And I agree he needs to see a vet. Sometimes eye problems show up because there is an underlying problem.
Okay, we have ordered silk worms and crickets, and the breeder I got Heis from and spoke to recommended the cage we have for his size and breed that he is. He is about as big as my index finger (not including his tail) so he is still pretty small in his cage.

Last edited:
Okay, we have ordered silk worms and crickets, and the breeder I got Heis from and spoke to recommended the cage we have for his size and breed that he is. He is about as big as my index finger (not including his tail) so he is still pretty small in his cage.
Ok...I miss read this...I see now he won't be a year old until June. Be prepared for a jump in growth when he gets decent food. What kind of cham is he? I still strongly recommend vet visit.

Back
Top Bottom