Experienced keeper who is getting back into the game. Absolutely cannot make my mind up on species. Building enclosure today! Help me pick?

For whatever it’s worth a mini update, here is what I picked up today. Supplies for bioactive 40 gallon Pygmy enclosure as well as lumber and screening/plexi glass for the 2 home terrarium I’m going to build. Decided species are boehmei and a good bloodline panther.View attachment 302727
Looks like your ready to go. Hopefully your not ordering from Backwater reptiles. If your looking for Boehmei one of our members has babies. Not sure what she has left now but here is the link to her ad in the forum. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/kinyongia-boehmei-babies.181687/

Unfortunately college caused me to get rid of my animal collection. Me and the gf are getting an apartment this semester and she loves chams. Building 2 display tanks our place. One is a bio active Pygmy terrarium and one will be for the Cham you guys hopefully help me decide on. I’ve had veileds, panthers, and a couple Jackson’s since I was a kid. Time to go outside the box and get something unique. I CANNOT make my mind up on species but have narrowed down the list quite a bit. Impulse buys are frowned upon with these animals I know, however think of this as more of an overexcited keeper finally being able to get back into the hobby I love. After the species is decided I will buy the animals and have the company hold them until I’m ready for them and completely studied up on their requirements. I’m buying a pair of whatever species I decide on and plan to build the appropriate sized enclosure. Both enclosures will be built as one with a divider between the two to reduce stress and in no way am I planning to cohab.
species:
FISCHERS
I’m interested in dwarf Fischer’s. There are 2 common species and either is fine
Kinyongia tavetana
Kinyongia boehmei- sometimes called Böhme's Two-horned Chameleon.

HELMETED CHAMELEON
Trioceros hoehnelli- a very unique looker

MELLERS CHAMELEON
Chamaeleo melleri- fully prepared to deal with size requirements and know their care.

ELEPHANT EARED CHAMELEON
Calumma brevicorne- all around variable and super pretty Cham. Not a ton of info around but they seem doable.

ANTIMENA CHAMELEON
Furcifer antimena- a Madagascar species of the paddle nose variety. They look like if a Fischer and a panther got it on. Info is a bit scarce however they’re said to be difficult to breed but take well to a captive lifestyle (words of several members on this forum who own this beautiful species)

TRUE JACKSONS OR Mt.Kenya
(Trioceros) jacksonii jacksonii- unfortunately listed by many these days as the rainbow Jackson’s chameleon. However this is the true Jackson’s and they are said to be just as hardy as a typical Jackson’s. Plus! They’re beautiful and the females have an amazing pattern and grow a horn of their own. Website is selling them in singles or as pairs with a Gravid female. This is one of the websites listing them as rainbow Jackson’s so I will definitely have to call and verify I’m getting what I want.

GIANT SPINY CHAMELEON
Furcifer verrucosus- another Madagascar chameleon. Quite a bit of info on these guys and care seems very manageable. They seem to do well in a captive setting. I’m prepared to provide the space needed. Beautiful and prehistoric looking species.

Conclusion- here’s the species I’m interested in. I feel confident in my ability to care for any of these. I would be more than happy with any of them but just figured I’d come here to hear stories of experience or possibly an opinion on what I should or shouldn’t go for. Once again experience level isn’t an issue however I’d like to hear what you guys have to say. Hopefully I get some responses before I make it to Home Depot and get the supplies to build their cage. I’m new here so I apologize if this type of post is annoying. If I’m not able to come up with a decision based on yalls opinions and guidance I will likely just buy the best bloodline panther I can afford. Hope to hear back from some of you soon!
I’ve had Mellers and loved her she was massive and amazing. Eats a lot. Needs a 4x2x6 minimally as an adult. 1inch hardware cloth frame is what my girl was in but I took her to a greenhouse in Orlando 10 years ago to breed with a male as I reached her from someone who couldn’t keep her . At that point you couldn’t find. Mellers and they were protected. She pounded roaches and horns as big as small sausage links. I love a panther. The elephant ear has me interested.

For whatever it’s worth a mini update, here is what I picked up today. Supplies for bioactive 40 gallon Pygmy enclosure as well as lumber and screening/plexi glass for the 2 home terrarium I’m going to build. Decided species are boehmei and a good bloodline panther.View attachment 302727
wait you're actually building the enclosure as well? I WANT PICS
(why did I comment on a old post im so stupid)

I vote k boehmei. I bought a male and female a few years back - the female was imported gravid and so I had babies, too.

They are an active species - small little monkeys! Tons of personality in a small package. I also love that with a small species you can either get away with a smaller enclosure, or a 2x2x4 that will be extra roomy for them!

I would imagine k. tav is extremely similar.

I also have a tjj from @JacksJill who is very handsome.

I vote k boehmei. I bought a male and female a few years back - the female was imported gravid and so I had babies, too.

They are an active species - small little monkeys! Tons of personality in a small package. I also love that with a small species you can either get away with a smaller enclosure, or a 2x2x4 that will be extra roomy for them!

I would imagine k. tav is extremely similar.

I also have a tjj from @JacksJill who is very handsome.
Can´t agree more (y)(y)

Unfortunately college caused me to get rid of my animal collection. Me and the gf are getting an apartment this semester and she loves chams. Building 2 display tanks our place. One is a bio active Pygmy terrarium and one will be for the Cham you guys hopefully help me decide on. I’ve had veileds, panthers, and a couple Jackson’s since I was a kid. Time to go outside the box and get something unique. I CANNOT make my mind up on species but have narrowed down the list quite a bit. Impulse buys are frowned upon with these animals I know, however think of this as more of an overexcited keeper finally being able to get back into the hobby I love. After the species is decided I will buy the animals and have the company hold them until I’m ready for them and completely studied up on their requirements. I’m buying a pair of whatever species I decide on and plan to build the appropriate sized enclosure. Both enclosures will be built as one with a divider between the two to reduce stress and in no way am I planning to cohab.
species:
FISCHERS
I’m interested in dwarf Fischer’s. There are 2 common species and either is fine
Kinyongia tavetana

HELMETED CHAMELEON

MELLERS CHAMELEON
Chamaeleo melleri- fully prepared to deal with size requirements and know their care.

ELEPHANT EARED CHAMELEON
Calumma brevicorne- all around variable and super pretty Cham. Not a ton of info around but they seem doable.

ANTIMENA CHAMELEON
Furcifer antimena- a Madagascar species of the paddle nose variety. They look like if a Fischer and a panther got it on. Info is a bit scarce however they’re said to be difficult to breed but take well to a captive lifestyle (words of several members on this forum who own this beautiful species)

(Trioceros) jacksonii jacksonii- unfortunately listed by many these days as the rainbow Jackson’s chameleon. However this is the true Jackson’s and they are said to be just as hardy as a typical Jackson’s. Plus! They’re beautiful and the females have an amazing pattern and grow a horn of their own. Website is selling them in singles or as pairs with a Gravid female. This is one of the websites listing them as rainbow Jackson’s so I will definitely have to call and verify I’m getting what I want.

GIANT SPINY CHAMELEON
Furcifer verrucosus- another Madagascar chameleon. Quite a bit of info on these guys and care seems very manageable. They seem to do well in a captive setting. I’m prepared to provide the space needed. Beautiful and prehistoric looking species.

Conclusion- here’s the species I’m interested in. I feel confident in my ability to care for any of these. I would be more than happy with any of them but just figured I’d come here to hear stories of experience or possibly an opinion on what I should or shouldn’t go for. Once again experience level isn’t an issue however I’d like to hear what you guys have to say. Hopefully I get some responses before I make it to Home Depot and get the supplies to build their cage. I’m new here so I apologize if this type of post is annoying. If I’m not able to come up with a decision based on yalls opinions and guidance I will likely just buy the best bloodline panther I can afford. Hope to hear back from some of you soon!
Instead of buying, why not adoPt. I am sure there are many that need homes with experienced handlers. call around to shelters, etc. That way, the universe will decide.

species:
FISCHERS
Kinyongia tavetana

HELMETED CHAMELEON

MELLERS CHAMELEON

ELEPHANT EARED CHAMELEON

ANTIMENA CHAMELEON

GIANT SPINY CHAMELEON

Your choice will be partially dependent on availability. Some of those species are hard to find and/or come from countries that are closed for export.

Back
Top Bottom