Exo Terras - suitable for which chameleon species?

ladybird

Would any of the large exo terra terrariums be suitable for say, Jackson's chameleons or maybe chameleo rudis?

exo_terra_45_45_45.jpg

I've got a 60x45x60 and a 45x45x60

No. Most chameleons should be housed in screen or somthing with much better ventilation.

Benny,

I'm curious as to why you do not think they would work for many of the smaller true chameleons? Many in Europe use larger custom terrariums with this same type of airflow design quite successfully. There is an Exo-Terra Terrarium model that is 36"x18"x24" which I would think would be large enough for many of the smaller Trioceros species (I keep most of my Trioceros in 24"x24"x24" enclosures). In theory, the ventilation would be the same as many of the terrariums used successfully in Europe. You don't think a terrarium of that size would work for a T. sternfeldi?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've just said that it shouldn't work so well with jacksonii and sternfeldi. They are definitly great for species which like a high humidity but with sternfeldis I'm not quite sure if it will work well for a long time.
I've heard of many of them dying because of abscesses and infections and so I think a better ventilated / screen cage would be better. It's just my intention, I never kept any of the sternfeldis
To the ventilation typ itself: I personally couldn't imagine that those few holes at the front create the same effect then a 5 cm wide part made of aluminium screen

Regards
Benny

Fair enough. I imagine you are correct about the size of the holes in the front. I have a 36"x18"x18" Exo-Terra Terrarium and I am considering trying to keep a subadult female T. cristatus in it and see how she does. I am trying to find one of the 36"x18"x24" models but any larger then 18"x18"x24" is very difficult to find. I've had good success with them for my pygmies (including Rh. spinosus) and I have a feeling some of the small Trioceros would do well in them too. You would of course have to alter your husbandry (particularly watering practices) to take into account the retention of water and humidity.

Chris

I have also one of them, but I still just use it for different pygmies. I would probably never buy some of them again (except I win much money ;)) cause I think the price performance ratio isn't so good.Espacially small feeders could escape well, the plastic at the top isn't really heat stable and for the money I have to spend I don't get really big enclosures.
For the same money I could get here very high quality glass enclosures, which look better in my opinion and which are bigger.

At the risk of getting flamed, yes I think the 60x45x60 could be used. The others are likely too small. You would of course have to pay attention to puddling water, relative humidity and trapped heat. Contrary to popular believe on this forum, screen cages are not the only option. What matters is not the construction of the enclosure, but that the correct internal environment is maintained. In warmer states, a screen cage makes it easiest to achieve the desired environment, but where I live screen makes it difficult.

T.Sternfeldi(Rudis) dont get really get too big in size, 5-7 inches at the most. But screen is always better. The glass in there is reflective and will stress out most Chameleons. Especially males for the most part. Exo terra has some screen cages that I like and use as well for my collection.

I used a medium sized Exo Terra glass terrarium for my veiled when she was really tiny, and I had zero problems. The glass on the front side (where it opens like doors) doesn't close perfectly tight, so there are small gaps on the sides (not big enough for any issues, but enough for some air to exchange) and also, underneath the doors are vents for some air flow. To solve the reflection problem, you can simply tape on pieces of paper to the sides that aren't mostly covered by foliage.

The reflection issue isnt well proven to actually be an issue. Plenty of people use glass, acrylic and plexiglass and do NOT report reflection stress, pawing at the glass etc that seems to worry people. I think these "issues" might be myths.

The reflection issue isnt well proven to actually be an issue. Plenty of people use glass, acrylic and plexiglass and do NOT report reflection stress, pawing at the glass etc that seems to worry people. I think these "issues" might be myths.

I'm going to have to agree, and disagree. I don't believe these issues are myth per say, but i do believe these issues depend on individual experiences with chameleons.

My first chameleon was fine is a glass exclosure.

My second chameleon would constantly be stressed, pace, and scratch at the glass, and by constantly i mean he was doing this when he wasn't eating...so almost all day. He didn't stop until i bought him an all screen cage.

Just like people report different chameleons tolerating handling in different ways, i think the issues caused by a glass enclosure is a chameleon to chameleon occurrence.

@OP: As for my opinion on the glass enclosures, if you've already bought it and cant return it, and its safe to use, go for it, just watch out for any strange behavior.

I you haven't purchased it I would look into attaining an all screen enclosure.

hope that helps ; )

Exo-terra also sells screen terrariums:

http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/screen_terrarium.php

I have no experience with these, but it looks like a better alternative to the flexariums they sell (I don't like the zips)

Could these glass terrariums not help keep heat when it is cold outside?
Apart from the screen top and holes in the middle of the cage, could the air not be changed by simply opening the doors for about 15 minutes a day?

Hope this helps.:eek:

I have the larger one and so far have had no problems. Many people have said about screen cadges but i guess living in scotland you will struggle with temp and humidity. the vent strips along the door do let some ventaltion through.
I use the soak up cloth's at the bottom of mine so that there is no pools of water left after misting.

Lily spent her whole life in an Exo Terra. I think I would have struggled with temps if I had kept her in a screen cage. In fact I think she was very healthy - she laid two very large clutches of infertiles. My new cham is now in the same cage, but I think she's actually a male, so I'm waiting till she's a bit bigger and I know for sure, then I will build him a larger wooden enclosure, as being male, he will need more space to patrol his territory.:D

Exo Terra Screen Cages....

I have used the Exo Terra Screen Cages for Rudis and Uthmoelleri with great success. They are suitable for small species only. They are easy to put together, inexpensive to purchase and very sturdy. I love the molded bottom which does not leak water like a traditional screen cage and is easy to clean. The front doors and removable top are very functional. Another great feature....the smaller sized crickets can not get into the framework of the cage. Traditional screen cages seem to all have a small gap in the bottom corners that smaller crickets can crawl into. The Exo Terra screen cage has no gap. I love these cages....can you tell?

I don't know why you in the Status use those cheap looking (but expensive) exoterra stuff, I mean aluminium screen cages from LLL and others are so cheap in your country !

Back
Top Bottom