Exo Terra Cage Feeding Question

ralphwiens

Hi, I just received my new panther chameleon today, Noki from Komeleons was the Sire (by the way, great company to work with). I have it in a exo terra 18x18x24 cage with a Styrofoam type decorative back for now. When I put my crickets into the cage some of the crickets appear to stay on the bottom (I have paper towels on the bottom) and seem to go under the edge of the paper towel, and the small gap where Styrofoam meets the bottom. I watched them for a while and they were moving all about the bottom, but I never saw them crawl higher. That was earlier today, I now don't see any of the crickets. I'm worried that they are hiding and will come out at night and bother my chameleon. They could have all been eaten, but I don't know. Those with experience with the Exo Terra cage have any thoughts. Any help would be appreciated. This is my first chameleon.
Ralph
Roanoke, Va

I use the cages for my babies before they are big enough to move into their adult cage.

I always remove the background though as all the crickets do is hide behind it and sometimes eat the polystyrene which will not be great for the chameleon.

Also adds a little bit more space without it too.

My only complaint about these cages in that drainage can be a pain.

I always remove the background though as all the crickets do is hide behind it and sometimes eat the polystyrene which will not be great for the chameleon.

Also adds a little bit more space without it too.

If I remove the background, how do the crickets move up to the top? I'm thinking of using a feeding cup, if i can get my young chameleon to use it. As far as drainage, I am hand misting, and doesn't seem to be a problem so far. In a couple of months I will be putting into a larger 24x24x48 cage.

Another option I'm thinking of is putting a screen over the background with and extra inch at the bottom and top to insure no gap when installed, this way the background is still seen, the chameleon can't eat it by mistake, will close the gap (I hope) and still be easy for the crickets to climb. I will probably wait a few days while my chameleon acclamates, he runs (haha) behind foliage when i get new the cage right now (remember he just arrived earlier today).

I just have a vine that touches the floor so the crickets can crawl up into the top of the cage.

With using a dripper i was having a big build up of excess water.

A few years back when I first got my veiled and the same tank a few morio worms got into the foam background and oh my god the noise at night of them chewing their way through the entire thing drove me nuts for weeks until I eventually took it out, shredded it and killed the worms haha!

Back
Top Bottom