Erik

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
I love this guy. He's the gracilior in my avatar. The avatar picture was taken when he was just a juvenile, now he's all grown up. I love his blues. Like most wild caughts, he suffered permanent injuries (broken horns and sail fin damage).

20180120_085147.jpg

I just love the horns! They make the chameleon look so tough, like a bull :D I would love to get one of those someday. Once I have more space, the chameleon will rule the house! :)

I just love the horns! They make the chameleon look so tough, like a bull :D I would love to get one of those someday. Once I have more space, the chameleon will rule the house! :)

They will use them like bulls--they will lower their heads and gore you if they are really really angry with you. Here is YingLong objecting when I removed him from a female's cage.

20160330_184521.jpg

They will use them like bulls--they will lower their heads and gore you if they are really really angry with you. Here is YingLong objecting when I removed him from a female's cage.

View attachment 198549
That is very interesting! I figured that the horns would be used for some kind of territorial defense or during the mating season. The only chameleon species that I have extensive knowledge abut is the veiled, but I know a little something about the other kinds as well. I learn something new every day :)

Do you plan to move onto another species to breed Janet? Or just stop breeding in general?

I'm getting out of chameleons and will probably play around with poison dart frogs.

I love my chameleons, especially my graciliors but most people aren't prepared to put in the effort to keep even a veiled or a panther alive. I can't just be breeding them to send them off to slaughter. They are really easy to keep and incredibly hardy. And just in case anyone is asking, my adult breeding stock will never be available. They stay with me for life.

Last edited:
I'm getting out of chameleons and will probably play around with poison dart frogs.

I love my chameleons, especially my graciliors but most people aren't prepared to put in the effort to keep even a veiled or a panther alive. I can't just be breeding them to send them to send off to slaughter. They are really easy to keep and incredibly hardy. And in just case anyone is asking, my adult stock breeding stock will never be available. They stay with me for life.

This is why I decided to never breed chams. I don't think even when kept properly you keep what would be a normal like 90% ratio of healthy ones. With good supplementing, amazing gutloading, best lighting. I think chams are definitely sensitive to captivity but I also think that's because in the wild they are not long lived creatures so maybe they aren't meant to live as long as they do in captivity. They are a species I have had more troubled with completely amazing set ups with healthy individuals from the get go than any other species. I am not sure why. Since switching to only natural UV rays as a uvb source I do see incredible health differences... But not enough for me to think they should be kept as pets. It's why I only do the rehabs and rescues now I guess. I went instead to breeding crested geckos.

I love my chameleons, especially my graciliors but most people aren't prepared to put in the effort to keep even a veiled or a panther alive. I can't just be breeding them to send them to send off to slaughter. They are really easy to keep and incredibly hardy. And in just case anyone is asking, my adult stock breeding stock will never be available. They stay with me for life.
You're work with chameleons has been greatly appreciated. Dart frogs are a hobby I want to get into, they are very fun, so I've heard. (On the side of course!)

This is why I decided to never breed chams. I don't think even when kept properly you keep what would be a normal like 90% ratio of healthy ones. With good supplementing, amazing gutloading, best lighting. I think chams are definitely sensitive to captivity but I also think that's because in the wild they are not long lived creatures so maybe they aren't meant to live as long as they do in captivity. They are a species I have had more troubled with completely amazing set ups with healthy individuals from the get go than any other species. I am not sure why. Since switching to only natural UV rays as a uvb source I do see incredible health differences... But not enough for me to think they should be kept as pets. It's why I only do the rehabs and rescues now I guess. I went instead to breeding crested geckos.

Try feeding more bee pollen. Captive bred animals are often incredibly compromised--poor nutrition of the mother means the egg yolks are not very nutritious. The baby depends on the stored calcium and vitamins stored in that egg yolk for months. They start malnourished. I think a lot of their problems are the diet. Farmed bugs are really pretty much rubbish compared to a wild bug.

Try feeding more bee pollen. Captive bred animals are often incredibly compromised--poor nutrition of the mother means the egg yolks are not very nutritious. The baby depends on the stored calcium and vitamins stored in that egg yolk for months. They start malnourished. I think a lot of their problems are the diet. Farmed bugs are really pretty much rubbish compared to a wild bug.
I have a 1/4 cup of bee pollen in my bug gutload, which has a base of 2 cups of alfalfa and probable another 3 cups of other things from nuts and seeds, to ancient grains, to spirulina, turmeric, herbs etc.

Back
Top Bottom