Enclosure built but worried about air flow and misting

Joann

I recently moved and have to rehome my snake as the landlord said no large snakes. But he doesnt care about lizards.I have a really nice enclosure that is 48long x 36 high x 2 ft wide. Its all wood with a lexan sliding doors. I want to make it into a veiled cham cage.
It has ceramic heat emitter for heat that could be switched out for a UVB bulb.
If I were to put in more vents how many would I need? Also can I just use a drip style watering system or would I need to mist as well? The cage is water resistant but I wouldnt call it water proof on the sides and back so misting heavily could be an issue I would need to fix if its something I will need to do daily.
Thanks everyone.

You may need to mist in addition to a dripper because not all chams learn that drippers are the only source of water. The dripper on its own probably won't create high enough humidity for the cham (a minimum of 40%). You will need a basking bulb as well as a UVB emitting florescent. If the wood isn't waterproof you'll have rot and mold problems, as your cham will need 40% humidity with higher spikes. As for airflow, is the top wood or are there screen panels for the lights? Screen or hardware cloth will create some chimney effect when the lights are on, but I'd say screen vents on each side would be necessary. Maybe the thing to do is set the cage up with live plants and your lighting, start misting, and start monitoring the resulting humidity, temps, and mold growth before you get the cham. I haven't housed a cham in a solid sided "box" before so maybe someone else on the forum has done it and can advise.

I figured I would have to do some rebuild.The top is solid wood with a round cutout with screen for the CHE but the light fixture fits tight. I was thinking of using a basking in that with a flourescent tube uvb fixture inside fixed to the ceiling of the cage(covered in screening for protection).
I figured I would use real plants as well. I just guess I will need to think options for waterproofing..
I can remove the sliding doors and replace them with screen doors if needed but vents would be easier. humidity here is in summer is high but winter is almost non existent.
I havent completely made up my mind yet Im mostly seeing whats involved with rebuilding the cage.I havent yet looked into other lizards.

I figured I would have to do some rebuild.The top is solid wood with a round cutout with screen for the CHE but the light fixture fits tight. I was thinking of using a basking in that with a flourescent tube uvb fixture inside fixed to the ceiling of the cage(covered in screening for protection).
I figured I would use real plants as well. I just guess I will need to think options for waterproofing..
I can remove the sliding doors and replace them with screen doors if needed but vents would be easier. humidity here is in summer is high but winter is almost non existent.
I havent completely made up my mind yet Im mostly seeing whats involved with rebuilding the cage.I havent yet looked into other lizards.
You'll have to protect the UV fixture from spray, as moisture may corrode the ballast connections eventually. When you cut the vents I'd cut them larger initially. You can always cover part of the vent with plexiglas if needed later. You'll need to use a very durable water based sealer on the inside and make sure its completely cured before getting it wet. Oil based sealers can outgass petroleum fumes.

HUF... herp utility fan- great for adding simple breeze and air movement. Use on timer.
This is a handy item:
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/huf-herp-utility-fan/

HuF Fan.JPG

Thanks everyone. I have a reptibreeze in my garage that is 48 tall by 24x24, it was given to me in a trade but needs some repair on one panel.I can use that for a baby while I work on the big cage. I am thinking I might buy the marine epoxy. its expensive and cures to a non toxic waterproof finish.

Thanks Venutus1 that fan is well worth looking into.

24x24x48 is plenty big enough for full grown adults chameleons except Oustalet’s Chameleon, Parsons, and Meller's chameleon unless you plan on getting one of these you really shouldn't need a bigger cage.

Back
Top Bottom