Emotions and Cuddling

Well, not sure how complex a chams brain is... there is very little to no study on chams, there is no payout..I would like very much, for chameleons to have emotions...to like me..the way some of my chams look at me with puppy dog eyes and climbing on the screen door when I go in, I hold them and feed them, I personally just don't think they have the brain capacity, but like you said the heat from holding hand and the treat, not many domesticated animals are going to turn down a favorite treat, either friendly or angry chameleons are in the reptile family, I love them all the same, it is nice though when they are ok beiing held....to feed...if they go to you

Credit: Petr Necas

Cuddling

I will try to explain what is happening here, please take it as I write it without any offense and without wanting to hurt your feelings.
1. Chameleons are not capable of love, their behavioral mechanisms are much more primitive than in mammals or humans. Their behavior is much more based on simple action-reaction principles and on simple reflexive responses. Their ability to learn is there but very limited and they are virtually unable to act emotionally, simply as they do not possess the parts of brain that are responsible for this type of functions.
2. People tend to interprete their behavior in human terms and are what they want to see and not what is reality, moreover they dramatically misunderstand what the animals are actually doing, sometimes they signal to us the opposite what we are understanding
3. Chameleons do not and never like to cuddle, they have no mechanism to feel well if immobilized, touched, covered with hand, blanket etc! On contrary, it is extremely unnatural for them, as this happens only in the case of predation on them!
4. If chameleons show bright colors when handled, in majority of cases it is a signal of stress!
5. If chameleons even close their eyes and freeze in one Position, it is a mechanism, which is known as akinesis or Thanatosis: if they have no way how to escape (or they perceive the situation like this) they simply play dead!
6. Once they play dead and handling stops, they prolong the strategy.
7. Once a chameleon closes its eye and it is relatively dark so that even its pinneal organ does not identify light and warmth rays, they reflexively start to sleep.

So, please, understand, that to cuddle is harmful for a chameleon and stop doing it...

People having chameleons as pets usually vigorously refuse to accept what is written above.
It is your choice...
I just hope your love to chameleons and fascination, will be directed in the direction of better really understanding them rather than harming them by misunderstanding them...

Please, once more, no offense intended, just - simple evidence-and science-based explanation of the chameleon behavior
Thank you so much! I don’t take offense to this, in fact quite the opposite. I understand that she is a reptile and not a puppy and have very different behaviors. She is my first reptile so I appreciate very much what you have to say. I don’t want her to be afraid or uncomfortable in any way. I did not know that they could not feel emotion or show affection and what you are saying makes a lot of sense.
Thanks again!

Thank you so much! I don’t take offense to this, in fact quite the opposite. I understand that she is a reptile and not a puppy and have very different behaviors. She is my first reptile so I appreciate very much what you have to say. I don’t want her to be afraid or uncomfortable in any way. I did not know that they could not feel emotion or show affection and what you are saying makes a lot of sense.
Thanks again!

Not many of us here feel emotion or show affection either :p

Credit: Petr Necas

Cuddling

I will try to explain what is happening here, please take it as I write it without any offense and without wanting to hurt your feelings.
1. Chameleons are not capable of love, their behavioral mechanisms are much more primitive than in mammals or humans. Their behavior is much more based on simple action-reaction principles and on simple reflexive responses. Their ability to learn is there but very limited and they are virtually unable to act emotionally, simply as they do not possess the parts of brain that are responsible for this type of functions.
2. People tend to interprete their behavior in human terms and are what they want to see and not what is reality, moreover they dramatically misunderstand what the animals are actually doing, sometimes they signal to us the opposite what we are understanding
3. Chameleons do not and never like to cuddle, they have no mechanism to feel well if immobilized, touched, covered with hand, blanket etc! On contrary, it is extremely unnatural for them, as this happens only in the case of predation on them!
4. If chameleons show bright colors when handled, in majority of cases it is a signal of stress!
5. If chameleons even close their eyes and freeze in one Position, it is a mechanism, which is known as akinesis or Thanatosis: if they have no way how to escape (or they perceive the situation like this) they simply play dead!
6. Once they play dead and handling stops, they prolong the strategy.
7. Once a chameleon closes its eye and it is relatively dark so that even its pinneal organ does not identify light and warmth rays, they reflexively start to sleep.

So, please, understand, that to cuddle is harmful for a chameleon and stop doing it...

People having chameleons as pets usually vigorously refuse to accept what is written above.
It is your choice...
I just hope your love to chameleons and fascination, will be directed in the direction of better really understanding them rather than harming them by misunderstanding them...

Please, once more, no offense intended, just - simple evidence-and science-based explanation of the chameleon behavior
I mean, I know all of this is true but who can disagree that personifying them, and pretending they have emotions is fun.:)

I mean, I know all of this is true but who can disagree that personifying them, and pretending they have emotions is fun.:)
I am guilty of this... I think the biggest concern is when a new keeper does it... just because your not seeing reactions the same as an experienced keeper. And trust me I still consider myself new. I have been a keeper for almost a year now. While I know my boys personality quite well I am still learning as he matures and grows. So it is important that we remember it is more of a trust they feel for us... however I still shout off roof tops that Beman loves me over all other humans lol

Back
Top Bottom