EGGS, infertile or fertile?

SRD2411

I did not witness the male and female match up but she was receptive and stayed housed with him for 3 days. One day she showed the gravid colors so they were removed. 35 days later, she dropped 17 eggs perfectly. I have lost 8 so far to mold. They were laid 5/30. The rest look strong.

Is it true if they mold they were infertile or could it be due to high humidity? First clutch so any help would be appreciated!

You will know if they are infertile or not. The infertile ones will mold over and if left in the container will not look like an egg anymore. The containers will most likely be around 100% humidity during the whole incubation process so if they mold they are infertile and should be removed from the container and tossed.

Good luck with your other eggs, hope they stay strong and are fertile.

I did not witness the male and female match up but she was receptive and stayed housed with him for 3 days. One day she showed the gravid colors so they were removed. 35 days later, she dropped 17 eggs perfectly. I have lost 8 so far to mold. They were laid 5/30. The rest look strong.

Is it true if they mold they were infertile or could it be due to high humidity? First clutch so any help would be appreciated!

yes if they molded over they are likely infertile. The ones still going are likely fertile though given the time between mating and laying. She should lay 1-2 clutches following this from the same mating.

Next time one molds over cut it open with a razor and take some pics of whats inside then post them here.

Just because some mold doesn't mean they were infertile when they were laid.

They will start to shrivel up usually before the get mold on them. You can have eggs that don't make it like it was stated they don't have to be infertile. Did you make sure you didn't turn them over when you stuck them into the vermiculite? If you have had them this long and the remaining ones look good then they should be ok. Make sure the vermiculite don't dry out you need humidity, this was a mistake I made with one of my first clutches, and I lost a quite a few because of it. Good luck:)

Back
Top Bottom