veiled egg fertilize

lee jian heng

Hi everyone.
My friend ask me this problem.
His female chameleon laid 30 eggs,only 2 fertilized,the remaining 28 infertile and goes mold.Then the female pass away couple day after laid egg.
So the question ,are there low fertilize percentage may occur sometime?
or can be the male chameleon not experience on that?Thank you everyone.

Are you not concerned with why the female died?

We need more information to even be able to guess at why the female had so many infertile eggs.
Most of us are not vets BTW.

Did you find out what the bumps were on your female?
She is showing reproductive colours in one of the photos you posted of her.

Just my opinion- Fertile eggs can go bad with mold. I would say something was in the substrate to cause mold and it grows very fast.

That being said--- It is possible with the first clutch of eggs, some are fertile, and some are not (not uncommon).

The death of the female is very important.
As stated above--- "We need more information" (kinyonga (y) )

Food/habitat are contributors to both chameleon and clutch.

Can we see a picture of the 2 eggs? and when where they laid? Thanks

Are you not concerned with why the female died?

We need more information to even be able to guess at why the female had so many infertile eggs.
Most of us are not vets BTW.

Did you find out what the bumps were on your female?
She is showing reproductive colours in one of the photos you posted of her.
Hi,this topic question is my friend's female chameleon.
For mine skin issue chameleon had released to forest.And yes,she gravid,and never had mated,she didn't laid egg even until I release her ,

WOW! I am totally confused now. No big deal, seems this happens to me often.:cautious:

Was your friends chameleon ever with a male? If yes, then the 2 eggs could have been fertile (bio 101 for some animals but not all) If no, then the eggs were never fertile and the focus should be on the dead female and why.

Skin issue? Should never have been released, so the infection could spread. JMHO--- diseases can wipe out whole populations. I don't know what forest:eek:
Again JMHO.

have a great day everyone. (y)

As @redhorse said…”Skin issue? Should never have been released, so the infection could spread. JMHO--- diseases can wipe out whole populations. I don't know what forest”….this is very true.
At least she wasn’t mated and can’t create a population of her species in the forest.
What country are you in?

Just my opinion- Fertile eggs can go bad with mold. I would say something was in the substrate to cause mold and it grows very fast.

That being said--- It is possible with the first clutch of eggs, some are fertile, and some are not (not uncommon).

Can we see a picture of the 2 eggs? and when where they laid? Thanks

Can we see a picture of the 2 eggs? and when where they laid? Thank
The egg on the left side is second clutch,laid 30eggs only this two egg show blood vessel ,that egg shell brown color is because it's keep at cocopeat,he said .The others 28 egg goes mold.he didn't give picture about those mold eggs.The female is still alive.
On the right side ,was the already passed away chameleon,this is her first clutch,she laid 30 eggs also ,two egg is white ,because keep at perlite substrate,no blood vessel see ,those 28eggs goes mold . Before the chameleon passed ,had showed diarrhea scene (he explain is not very clarify I also very confusing what he had speak to me,I'm assumed and guess what he was saying...)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230509_235854.jpg
    Screenshot_20230509_235854.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 42
WOW! I am totally confused now. No big deal, seems this happens to me often.:cautious:

Was your friends chameleon ever with a male? If yes, then the 2 eggs could have been fertile (bio 101 for some animals but not all) If no, then the eggs were never fertile and the focus should be on the dead female and why.

Skin issue? Should never have been released, so the infection could spread. JMHO--- diseases can wipe out whole populations. I don't know what forest:eek:
Again JMHO.

have a great day everyone. (y)
Yes ,first chameleon had mate with a male .But fertilize rate quite low.
Another female chameleon passed after laid egg ,and also have diarrhea before that.I think perhaps egg bound causes.he didn't mention have him dissecting to confirm ,I just assume that.

JMHO ,I not very willing to euthanize her ,but I cannot keep her in my area as well ,and I m a immunosuppress people ,I'm had experience SLE lupus disease,I worry something pathogen could infect to me .
So that's how is go

As @redhorse said…”Skin issue? Should never have been released, so the infection could spread. JMHO--- diseases can wipe out whole populations. I don't know what forest”….this is very true.
At least she wasn’t mated and can’t create a population of her species in the forest.
What country are you in?
South Asia

What country are you in?
I don't have courage to euthanize her.Sorry for that

Don’t be sorry for not having the courage to euthanize her…it’s not easy and needs to be done by a vet…but letting her go in the wild when she has some skin condition that could pass to other animals, is not responsible behaviour. I don’t mean to be harsh…I’m just explaining. You could wipe out a whole population of animals that are native to your country…or worse. Also, she may die a painful death, suffering from the skin condition she has.

Although chameleons need special considerations (pithing the brain, etc) when being euthanized, it might have been the best option for her. At least that way she wouldn’t have suffered and you wouldn’t risk the condition being passed on to her.

Oops…meant to say……”At least that way she wouldn’t have suffered and you wouldn’t risk the condition being passed on to other animals by her.”

Back
Top Bottom