Eggs in question-2 week update

Brad Ramsey

Retired Moderator
It's two weeks ago today that Agnes laid her 27 eggs.
The question of whether or not they are fertile still remains:rolleyes:
Here is a picture of them this morning and one of a single egg next to a dime.

-Brad

Last edited:
I hate to say it but I don't think they are...due to the size and color. The color is an off white where most fertile are bright white. I don't deal with veileds too much but I also think that their eggs are a bit larger. But that is just what I think...but with eggs you never know until they hatch or mold. So, good luck, keep us posted.

-chris

Chris thank you for your opinion.
Trace doesn't think they are fertile either.
This actually makes me happy!

Kitty will get his chance sooner this way!

-Brad

They look a little small to me too, like the second clutch of all infertiles that Carla laid.
I opened up one of my containers for the first time in 5 months today to check the vermiculite moisture. Here are a few pics. These eggs are 6 months old middle of April...
DSCN0698.jpg

With dime for reference...
DSCN0697.jpg

It's two weeks ago today that Agnes laid her 27 eggs.
The question of whether or not they are fertile still remains:rolleyes:
Here is a picture of them this morning and one of a single egg next to a dime.

-Brad

I don't have my notes here at work, but I think I remember that if they are bad, you'll know before 2 weeks, but that is pretty close to my "cut-off". How do they smell? If they are bad, they'll develop a bad odor before they look bad.

They look good to me. I would assume they are until they collapse... which should have happened by now if temps and moisture levels are proper.

Newly laid cham eggs are smaller at first and swell to a larger size (like Julirs' little beauties) as they develop. Also, veiled eggs vary in size from female to female and from clutch to clutch. Those are certainly not too little to be good.

I agree with Joe, small doesn't necessarily mean bad. Two week is a good barometer, but you do have about 200 more days...

If they're bad, you'll know sooner rather than later.

Same (3 weeks old in a couple of days)
No smell
No collapse
No mold or "fuzz"

I wonder if the cooler temps they are at right now are slowing the mold/collapse/etc. of these eggs.
Certainly mold can grow at these temps ... but not as fast.
65 to 69 degrees f.

-Brad

Last edited:
I wonder if the cooler temps they are at right now are slowing the mold/collapse/etc. of these eggs.
Certainly mold can grow at these temps ... but not as fast.
65 to 69 degrees f.

-Brad

Right, the warmer and wetter they are, the quicker they will mold and collapse if they are bad. Try a week in the low 70's....

I had 8 more panthers pop out this morning from another clutch... I'll be at the May 10th show again. Be sure to drop by and say hello :)

Back
Top Bottom