Eggs are hatching

No they need the uv along with supplements don't skip that it's very important to feed them growing bones. You should have some way measuring the temperature at the highest branch I would adjust the the light to get a temp reading of about 85 at the basking spot. Also mist two or three times a day letting it dry out between misting.

I wish I had seen this earlier! congratulations! No sign from his brothers and sisters yet?

HE'S OUT, HE'S OUT! :D:D:D

BABY2.jpg

lol what is that dipping dots looking stuff you are using?

It looks very cute but tiny still.

I just want to know how did you incubate them such as temps, did you do diapause if so what temps.

Thanks

No they need the uv along with supplements don't skip that it's very important to feed them growing bones. You should have some way measuring the temperature at the highest branch I would adjust the the light to get a temp reading of about 85 at the basking spot. Also mist two or three times a day letting it dry out between misting.

Alright thanks, will do!

lol what is that dipping dots looking stuff you are using?

Its Hatchrite.. A friend of mine had good results with hatching veilds so I went with it.. Work well only you do need to ad water to it when the package says you don't

I wish I had seen this earlier! congratulations! No sign from his brothers and sisters yet?

I came home for lunch... I see 7 eggs are sweating but no new babys are out. One egg has sweated much more than the others and has big droppliets of water on it.

It looks very cute but tiny still.

I just want to know how did you incubate them such as temps, did you do diapause if so what temps.

Thanks

My hatching set up is pretty unimpressive.. I have 4 containerd filled with hatchrite. They are all covered with a few air holes punched in the top.. the containers are placed in a bigger container that has a little bit of water at the bottom to keep humidity (tip I got from jim and the cham co) The larger container has a loose fitting lid to allow air in but keep humidity in as well. All these are placed in the closet out of the way..

I didn't diapause except what naturally occured in the house when we had a few cold spells. The temp was avrage 75 degrees... but did fluxuate between 70 and 78.

I really did not expect them to hatch after 8 months.. I was thinking it would take 10 or more because I did not diapause them.

Oh my gosh, they are so ADORABLE! I love how little they are when they first hatch! Can't wait to see more! Congrats! :D

Yesterday morning one egg was sweating.. By lunch time 7 of them where sweating. BUt no babys yet!?!

I thought for sure there would be some more hatching when I came home from work today, but nothing.. just sweaty eggs

Maybe because it got a little cooler in the house yesterday and today it might have caused them to slow down...? I don't know

The one baby that did hatch ate his first cricket today! followed by a fruit fly. So cute

Ack still nothing!

Monday afternoon the one baby hatched
Tuesday morn 1 egg was sweating
Wednesday 7 eggs are sweating
Thursday (today) 9 eggs are sweating

The one that started sweating Tuesday morning now has a 'window' transparent looking part of the shell.

Come on babys come out already! Could there be something wrong or is this normal.. This is my first time so I don't know

I didn't mist the eggs...
I checked for water and adding water when needed.
I never directly misted the eggs.
The water was added to the substrate

Is there anything cuter in the whole world than newborn chameleons? Kittens come close, but that's about it I think!

Did you give those eggs a diapause? I have some Ambilobe eggs that have been cooking about a month more than those and no action yet.

Congrats Dez !

The following applies primarily to pardalis.

I see some talk of diapause and timing again, and wanted to address expectations. To help illuminate on some of what we have learned from results, it is our opinion that a deliberate diapause will greatly increase your ability to time the incubation period, such that you can predict your hatch window down to 1-2 weeks, with a total incubation time of 5 1/2 to 7 months, depending on the length of the diapause periods that you use. In explanation, this means that you can target the hatch window to a 2 week time-frame centered around as little as 5 1/2 months, or you can use longer diapause segments and have it center closer to 7 months, give or take two weeks. Without a deliberate diapause, the incubation period for the clutch can be 7-12 months. We know that more subtle changes than a deliberate diapause period can also have the same net triggering effect, but we don't know what those are, and suspect that they can vary from one clutch to the next to some degree. For example, two clutches laid at the same time, with the same deliberate diapause, would be expected to hatch within the same 1-2 weeks. The same two clutches put on a shelf somewhere, at a more or less constant temperature (no planned diapause), could hatch up to 2 months apart, give or take, possibly more, where different trigger events had obviously occurred. In all cases, with or without diapause, about 90% of your clutches will hatch such that all babies emerge within a few days of each other. For instance, in Dez's clutch, the span of time between first and last hatch would be 2-5 days. In the other 10%, the gap between first and last hatch can be up to two months, sometimes more.

The following applies primarily to pardalis.

I see some talk of diapause and timing again, and wanted to address expectations. To help illuminate on some of what we have learned from results, it is our opinion that a deliberate diapause will greatly increase your ability to time the incubation period, such that you can predict your hatch window down to 1-2 weeks, with a total incubation time of 5 1/2 to 7 months, depending on the length of the diapause periods that you use. In explanation, this means that you can target the hatch window to a 2 week time-frame centered around as little as 5 1/2 months, or you can use longer diapause segments and have it center closer to 7 months, give or take two weeks. Without a deliberate diapause, the incubation period for the clutch can be 7-12 months. We know that more subtle changes than a deliberate diapause period can also have the same net triggering effect, but we don't know what those are, and suspect that they can vary from one clutch to the next to some degree. For example, two clutches laid at the same time, with the same deliberate diapause, would be expected to hatch within the same 1-2 weeks. The same two clutches put on a shelf somewhere, at a more or less constant temperature (no planned diapause), could hatch up to 2 months apart, give or take, possibly more, where different trigger events had obviously occurred. In all cases, with or without diapause, about 90% of your clutches will hatch such that all babies emerge within a few days of each other. For instance, in Dez's clutch, the span of time between first and last hatch would be 2-5 days. In the other 10%, the gap between first and last hatch can be up to two months, sometimes more.

Wow, that's useful info. Thanks Jim

Last night one more egg had cracked open and I can see lips of the baby.. But he has not emerged since last night.

I noticed that 3 of the eggs that where sweating are not sweating anymore.

I have decided that Chameleon breeding (for me) is a very stressful thing. I fretted over Jezabelle when she was laying. Thinking about all the things that could go wrong. Thinking things like "why hasn't shy layed yet?? is she egg bound?" Then being so relieved when she finally did lay.

And now the eggs are hatching and I find myself thinking the same things "why havent they hatched yet? Why did these eggs stop sweating? is the shell to thick?"

I keep telling myself just to relax and be patient...but its hard to do.

The one hatchling I have so far is doing well.. I swear hew has already gotten bigger in the 4 days!

Back
Top Bottom