eggbound female veiled

she has black spots she won't move her leggs and just lays there i dont know what to do i have her in a bucket with moist sand in it right now

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

have your parents fill them out and tell them a 7 year old should have a gecko but probably not a chameleon..

good luck

I think it's awesome that this kid came online to find help for his chameleon.

Good luck Colton, I hope we can help in time! Do you have any pictures of your chameleon and cage that you could post?

veiled chameleon, female, not sure on the age, have had it about 8mo it was given to me as a gift.
i handle her every once and a while..chrickets about 6-12 a week with cal dust and the store i buy them from gut loads them...we have a waterfall with a mister in it...i see its poop every once and a while and i dont have a vet close totake her to....like i said it was given to me as a gift so i didnt know anything about it...she is housed in a screened cage that is 36x36x24....temp in the basking light is about 85-90 and 80-80 out of the light temps at night tend to be about 70-80 deoending on the weather i also have a uvb bulb as well... i mikst it 2 times a day and it also have a fogger in the waterfall and the levels are about 30-60 percent...im located in illinois.....i think she is eggbound she hasnt eatin in about 2 weeks and has black spots all over her and now she is just laying on the ground not moving but her eyes are still moving abd if i pick her up she will move a lil bit anything else you might need let me know

sounds like you know what you are doing pretty dang good for a 7 year old so good job on that... can you get pictures of her and place moist sand at the bottom of her cage?

veiled chameleon, female, not sure on the age, have had it about 8mo it was given to me as a gift.
i handle her every once and a while..chrickets about 6-12 a week with cal dust and the store i buy them from gut loads them...we have a waterfall with a mister in it...i see its poop every once and a while and i dont have a vet close totake her to....like i said it was given to me as a gift so i didnt know anything about it...she is housed in a screened cage that is 36x36x24....temp in the basking light is about 85-90 and 80-80 out of the light temps at night tend to be about 70-80 deoending on the weather i also have a uvb bulb as well... i mikst it 2 times a day and it also have a fogger in the waterfall and the levels are about 30-60 percent...im located in illinois.....i think she is eggbound she hasnt eatin in about 2 weeks and has black spots all over her and now she is just laying on the ground not moving but her eyes are still moving abd if i pick her up she will move a lil bit anything else you might need let me know

There are a few things wrong with your husbandry first off

-if you buy the crickets gutloaded and have them for a few days the nutrients are gone, so when you keep the crickets you need to give the fruits, cricket food, vegetables to make sure they are still gutloaded when you feed them off

-also do you turn off all the lights at night? is the room completely dark? because you said you keep the uvb light on but i am not sure what that means

-honestly though if you have the money go to a vet, she sounds like she might not be able to come back from how far she is if she can't even walk.

best of luck

Its not a good sign if she is laying on the ground and not moving her legs. IMHO its you need to take her to a vet right away.

This is his dad helping him we've tried everything yes I do clean the waterfall daily I'm in central Illinois near peoria I think it may be to late tho unfortunately we got this chameleon as a gift not knowing how old what sex or how in the heck to take care of it I didn't realize how difficult it was but now I'm aware and would like to get him another one he is very passionate about his lizards and he is the one that opened this account so any suggestions on another chameleon

I would love to take her to the vet tho she still moves her eyes but lays motionless until I pick her up then she try's to grab my hand I want to save her for him but not to sure if it's gonna happen I have no clue in the area of a qualified vet that's the bad part thank you for everyone's suggestion and help its amazing that my 7yr old got on the site to begin with thank you again

I would suggest that, for "simplicity" issues, I would get a male chameleon next time. They do not have the egg binding that they go through, and while they still have calcium requirements, they do not have the large demand that the female does since she has to produce eggs. I am sure someone on here will come up with an appropriate species suggestion, but I recommend veilds to beginners. As long as you are going to continue to be willing to research more before you buy the next one, and help him out with the care, I think you could turn your sad experience with chameleons into a positive one. Just ask plenty of questions, we are happy to help on here! :)

Like I said in a post before she was a gift so we knew nothing about them!! I didn't realize how much work they were but we do love having one and I will get a male next time! I'm sure my boy will be on here tomorrow and see all the support you guys have given us and once again I thank you so much I know in the future where to go for the most help when it comes to these lil guys! Where tho do you buy one???? And how can you trust the people that sell them online is that safe

If you search the forums for our sponsors on here, you will get alot of reviews on different breeders. I have never heard anything bad about a site sponsor's animal! Also, do NOT buy from a pet store if you can help it. While there are a very few that actually know what they are doing, many petstores purchase their chameleons too young, and sell them in improper conditions giving improper information. My little gal chameleon I purchased from Petsmart. They told me she was a male, that she was 6 months old, and that chameleons didn't lay eggs. So. She is actually a female, was 2 months old, and has had 41 eggs. Just ask for some veiled breeders here, my cousin ordered from Florida Chams, and has a beautiful little male veiled!

Back
Top Bottom