Egg surgery...egg binding...

That makes absolutely no sense. Once egg-bound the choices are surgery or a painful death.
That's what I thought.
Of course, prevention of the reproductive issues should be the goal,in the first place but what other options but surgery are possible once it's happened?

It's a little confusing, but it appears the heart of his message was that overfeeding and high temps are what cause large clutches, which is true and accepted, and that keepers need to reduce these things to avoid eggbinding rather than having your chameleon spayed as a preventative measure.

I don't think his message was regarding surgery as a life-saving procedure, just when it's sought out to prevent the issue from ever arising (which I do agree with- subjecting a chameleon to surgery for a biological process that can be managed through husbandry seems risky and potentially just lazy)

As for whatever the replies were on about....well, I certainly don't trust reddit for reptile medical advice.

As I said...prevention should be the goal...but once the person has already done everything wrong and the female is already gravid and eggbound are there any options but spaying.
I have never had a vet suggest spaying before the chameleon was at the point of eggbinding.

Back
Top Bottom