Egg laying- how long before I get worried?

Well today I found "Sassy" lifeless in the branches of her enclosure. She seemed fine last night but this afternoon I checked to see how she was coming and found she had died. It must have been too much for her to handle, maybe eggbound. I'll dig up the soil tonight to see if there were any eggs layed. very dissapointing, didn't expect to feel this sadness :(

I am so very sorry for your loss. These little guys have a way of getting right into our heart. We have a memorial section here on the forums. You should post there about her and put up a few pictures if you have any and do a little tribute to her.

Gacpro, so sorry for your loss. Egg laying can be an immensely stressful process for those female chams, and sometimes it's just too much for them. Very sad.

Jann, my female finally laid the majority of her clutch last week. She was in the trash barrel laying box for 4 days straight before she finally laid them, and she only laid them a few inches below the surface. After she finished and seemed ready to come out, I could feel she still had 3 retained eggs. She just laid the last of those this week. She had me quite scared for a while with the last one but I was able to very gently get the process started by pushing it out (risky, but with no oxytocin on hand it was the next best thing). Throughout the whole ordeal she has been really great and is quickly getting back to her normal self (and former weight). Total of 17 eggs, all of which appear to be fertile. And now I have a bottle of oxytocin on hand just in case for the future...

Back
Top Bottom