EEK! Weird thing growing on driftwood. Please help!

andrearamirezo91

Avid Member
I was watering my chameleon cage today when I noticed this really weird thing growing on a wooden branch. I have no idea what it is or if it could potentially be harmful for my chameleon. He is housed in an outside enclosure. I live in South Florida where the weather is warm and he gets plenty of sunlight. Where he is located he’s protected from the sun half of the day but it is still hot enough that his cage can fully dry out between misting sessions. I usually mist him twice a day for five minutes approximately, and he has a dripper running all day. The past days have been pretty rainy though so he has been getting a lot of water. Is this a fungus? I am really worried and not sure if I should just try to take the whole thing out of the cage. His cage is very full with A lot of branches and a hibiscus that just keeps growing. So far I only noticed this weird thing on one of the branches… The very big one. If you look at it closely it has a bunch of little holes, and almost looks like a coral. Please help! What should I do?

F23F156E-1788-4D2D-A167-AFD108F8393A.jpeg
B42A5F14-91D4-42A7-955F-A82288A72289.jpeg
CB2C7E9B-518F-462C-8FEF-AA084C7536F1.jpeg
978B1939-2EE5-48ED-8300-FF0EBF25423D.jpeg

Defanitly a fungus but what kind I don’t know. You can call me Captain Obvious!

Geez. What should I do? Should I take the whole thing out? Sucks because that’s a huge piece of driftwood that goes all around the cage and my cham really loves it. I noticed thAt it only grew on the bottom part of the branch.

Is there any way you can let that piece of wood dry out? Most fungi can't grow without moisture.

Is there any way you can let that piece of wood dry out? Most fungi can't grow without moisture.

Well it’s pretty humid down here and it’s been raining a lot lately but I can definitely try. What about my chameleon? I’m honestly more worried about him. Could this possibly hurt him or pass on to him? :( I’m surprised at how incredibly fast it grew. I guess the conditions are perfect here.. very warm and humid

If he were mine I’d pull him out of there, he would probably be fine but it’s not worth the risk. I’d pull the driftwood out temporarily and cover that sucker in Goldbond. If that doesn’t work that it out and scrape it off as best as you can then spray the area with a light bleach water mix.

@Motherlode Chameleon got any freinds with knowledge on something like this?

I probably could locate somebody at UC Davis. Does look to be a fungus of some kind.

Geez. What should I do? Should I take the whole thing out? Sucks because that’s a huge piece of driftwood that goes all around the cage and my cham really loves it. I noticed thAt it only grew on the bottom part of the branch.

Take the branch out and thoroughly clean it. Then I would sterilize the branch and give it another go if you're in love with that branch for your chameleon enclosure.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Thanks for the replies guys. I took the branch out and put it inside the house where it’s cooler/dryer. How exactly do you suggest I clean and sterilize it?

Thanks for the replies guys. I took the branch out and put it inside the house where it’s cooler/dryer. How exactly do you suggest I clean and sterilize it?

This is your friendly Motherlode Chameleon guide to branch cleaning.

I would start by first
1) Thoroughly Cleaning the Beloved Branch you do not want to Part with. Give is it a Good Scrub and Remove all the Fungus and Rotten Wood.
2) Rinse the Branch
3) Allow the Branch to Dry
4) Soak in a Disinfectant Half an Hour to an Hour (diluted Bleach works or other reptile cleanser) or if the Branch is Small Enough Cook an Oven at Lower Non Combustible Temperatures.
5) Give a Rinse
6) Soak in Water to Remove any Remaining Disinfectant (Skip this Step if you used Heat to Disinfect)
7) Give a Rinse
8) Allow to Dry
9) Give a Good Look Over to make Certain the Branch is Suitable for the Enclosure
10) Place The Branch Back into the Enclosure as Habitat for your Chameleon
11) If the Branch is Okay and the Fungus is and stays Gone Look to the Sky and Say I Rock!!!
12) If the Branch starts to Develop Fungus Again Locate a New Source of Chameleon Friendly Branches

Good sources of chameleon friendly branches is to befriend your local farmers. Walnut, Apple, Almond, Peaches and other mid to large circumference agricultural branches make great chameleon branches. Most farmers who have burn piles of these are delighted to have people save them the trouble and remove their excess trimmings from pruning of their agriculture orchards.

If I left any steps out. Feel welcome to ask any more questions.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
This is your friendly Motherlode Chameleon guide to branch cleaning.

I would start by first
1) Thoroughly Cleaning the Beloved Branch you do not want to Part with. Give is it a Good Scrub and Remove all the Fungus and Rotten Wood.
2) Rinse the Branch
3) Allow the Branch to Dry
4) Soak in a Disinfectant Half an Hour to an Hour (diluted Bleach works or other reptile cleanser) or if the Branch is Small Enough Cook an Oven at Lower Non Combustible Temperatures.
5) Give a Rinse
6) Soak in Water to Remove any Remaining Disinfectant (Skip this Step if you used Heat to Disinfect)
7) Give a Rinse
8) Allow to Dry
9) Give a Good Look Over to make Certain the Branch is Suitable for the Enclosure
10) Place The Branch Back into the Enclosure as Habitat for your Chameleon
11) If the Branch is Okay and the Fungus is and stays Gone Look to the Sky and Say I Rock!!!
12) If the Branch starts to Develop Fungus Again Locate a New Source of Chameleon Friendly Branches

Good sources of chameleon friendly branches is to befriend your local farmers. Walnut, Apple, Almond, Peaches and other mid to large circumference agricultural branches make great chameleon branches. Most farmers who have burn piles of these are delighted to have people save them the trouble and remove their excess trimmings from pruning of their agriculture orchards.

If I left any steps out. Feel welcome to ask any more questions.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
You’re the best, thank you for taking your time to write all that :) The branch has been sitting inside the house in the AC drying up, and hopefully I’ll get to cleaning and sanitizing it this weekend. Again thank you!

@Brodybreaux25 thanks to you too, you’re always so helpful.

You’re the best, thank you for taking your time to write all that :) The branch has been sitting inside the house in the AC drying up, and hopefully I’ll get to cleaning and sanitizing it this weekend. Again thank you!

@Brodybreaux25 thanks to you too, you’re always so helpful.

Sure well good luck with sanitizing the branch. If you have any further problems with your branch you can ask.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I am no expert, but could it be a praying mantis ooth?

Well I dont think so just because it spread through a few different areas of the branch. The branch is drying up inside the house and it seems to be shrinking lol. With college and work I haven't been able to get around to cleaning it yet

Back
Top Bottom