Eating

thejoeybloom

Hello Everyone!
I'm new to the forums but have been reading posts for the last few hours. I originally started reading posts because I thought my male jackson chameleon wasn't eating, and seeing as how I spent tons of the money on the chameleon and the environment I was very worried. However while reading threads I thought I would try feeding him by putting a cricket in a cup (I was using tongs/hand feeding before) and he instantly shot his tongue out at the cup (and hit the cup not the cricket). I am more than relieved to see him eat (I put a couple crickets in the cage to roam around and he ate one), but I just wanted to see what you guys think. I find it a little strange that he was eating from the tongs without an issue then all of a sudden refused to eat from them. Also (I'm not sure if this is important) he tries to climb on the screen all the time and falls off, is there something i can do to avoid this or is it even harmful to him? Any info/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Here is info on my habitat:
size: 2'x2'x3' screen
humidity: 75% (humidifier)
heat: basking 85 (75 elsewhere)
also i have a drip system for water and spray the cage a couple times a day.

Pics:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1549948808181.61961.1818938999

I might be worrying too much but i'm very fond of this guy and want to make sure he will live a full life. Thanks again.

~Joey

climbing around and falling is natural just make sure there is alot of foliage so that he can grasp onto. as far as eating, if he is shooting for his food than you should be fine.

As for the falling, check his toes. Does he have nails? Did they get damaged? Ar his nails to big for the openings in the screen? Just some things to check.

As for the feeding. It is not surprising at all that one day he eats from tongs and the next he won't. Welcome to chameleon life. Best thing (in my opinion) to do is mix it up. Some days I tong feed, some days free roam and some times cup feed. My guy is just as finicky as yours sounds. As long as he is eating you are fine.

Back
Top Bottom