eating dirt?

I got two plants for my Veiled Chameleon, and she keeps biting at, and sticking her tongue out and grabbing dirt. I have caught her a few times (the times that ive seen) and managed to get it out of her mouth. Is this okay? And what should/could I do to try and stop this from happening?

You can put stones on top of the soil that are definitely too big for her to swallow.

If there are no chemicals or insecticides in the soil or other particles that she should not eat in the soil then it shouldn't hurt her to eat some. Some would cause impaction...some don't.

I got two plants for my Veiled Chameleon, and she keeps biting at, and sticking her tongue out and grabbing dirt. I have caught her a few times (the times that ive seen) and managed to get it out of her mouth. Is this okay? And what should/could I do to try and stop this from happening?
Are you using a multi vitamin in your supplement regime?

You can put stones on top of the soil that are definitely too big for her to swallow.

If there are no chemicals or insecticides in the soil or other particles that she should not eat in the soil then it shouldn't hurt her to eat some. Some would cause impaction...some don't.
it had no chemicals! i will add some stones. thank you!

What are the brands, types, and schedules of your supplements?
I use calcium weekly (three times a week), I use D3 calcium three times a month, and I use multi vitamin also three times a month. I use “Zoo Med Repti Calcium Without D3” “Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin and Mineral Powder Reptile/Amphibian Supplement” and I use “Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3”

So that's wrong, you'll want to use the Zoo Med ReptiCalcium Without D3 every feeding, except for one day each week. On that one day, you'll alternate weekly between using the Rep-Cal Herptivite and Zoo Med ReptiCalcium With D3, so that each is used once every two weeks. Now, the Rep-Cal Herptivite does not have preformed Vitamin A, so if you want a supplement that does have it, Zoo Med Reptivite Without D3 does, and you'd use it on the same schedule that your Rep-Cal Herptivite is.

So that's wrong, you'll want to use the Zoo Med ReptiCalcium Without D3 every feeding, except for one day each week. On that one day, you'll alternate weekly between using the Rep-Cal Herptivite and Zoo Med ReptiCalcium With D3, so that each is used once every two weeks. Now, the Rep-Cal Herptivite does not have preformed Vitamin A, so if you want a supplement that does have it, Zoo Med Reptivite Without D3 does, and you'd use it on the same schedule that your Rep-Cal Herptivite is.
okay thank you. can i ask how you dust them? some people say to just sprinkle it on, and some others say to put the food and the calcium in a container together and mix it around. i feel like i get too much on them when i do either of those methods, so i’m not sure.

okay thank you. can i ask how you dust them? some people say to just sprinkle it on, and some others say to put the food and the calcium in a container together and mix it around. i feel like i get too much on them when i do either of those methods, so i’m not sure.
I pinch my tweezers in the powder must be about 0.1g of supplement, place it in small plastic tub with feeder of choice and shake it up.
If i think theres too much i pick up feeder and tap it to knock off the excess powder back into my mixing tub.

Second switching to Reptivite multi vitamin

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom