Early sleeping every night

RobStac

Hey, So I own a panther, a veiled and a carpet chameleon, my carpet I picked up about 2 weeks ago, I have the cage set up perfectly and temps hecorrect, but for some reason ever since I got him, hes very active during the day and eats and drinks normally, but for some reason everyday around 6 he heads down to his shady spots and just sits there and sometimes I find him sleeping even thought the lights don't turn off until 9 ( they turn on at 10 ), I know there not suppose to snooze until the lights go out but its like a everyday thing at 6 he heads down there, what could this be, could it be because he's still used to the petstore hours of day ?

Hey, So I own a panther, a veiled and a carpet chameleon, my carpet I picked up about 2 weeks ago, I have the cage set up perfectly and temps hecorrect, but for some reason ever since I got him, hes very active during the day and eats and drinks normally, but for some reason everyday around 6 he heads down to his shady spots and just sits there and sometimes I find him sleeping even thought the lights don't turn off until 9 ( they turn on at 10 ), I know there not suppose to snooze until the lights go out but its like a everyday thing at 6 he heads down there, what could this be, could it be because he's still used to the petstore hours of day ?

He's most likely still set on the previous owner/breeders hours. Over time he may change to your schedule-- but if he's consistent and out for the rest of the day, its nothing to worry about.

Mine goes to the sleeping stick between 6-7, Lights out is around 10. ive never had one that just wandered around till the lights went off and just slept right were it was when lights turned off.

He's most likely still set on the previous owner/breeders hours. Over time he may change to your schedule-- but if he's consistent and out for the rest of the day, its nothing to worry about.

Sounds like a good theory to me, he's probably just jet legged.. My panther, the lights come on @ 9am and it takes about 30 minutes for him to warm up and start moving. He's non stop until the lights go out @ 9pm and then he crawls up to his sleeping spot and is out in about 10 minutes.. Always the same spot and always the same time, right from the day I bought him

He's actually probably just doing whatever the sun is doing, which is totally normal. Chameleons are more likely to follow the light through the window than the lights on the cage, so that's why he's probably asleep by 6. I'd bet he's awake at 6-7am as well, long before the lights pop on!

I wish I could fall asleep in 10 mins lol would make life alot easier for me the next day. My veiled does the same thing, literally and figuratively out like a light lol or his light for that matter.. haha :D

I live in California and get up around 5:30 a.m. By 6 a.m. I turn on all of the guys heat lamps and they're all awake, active and hungry. Most of my chams are free rangers.

This is the scene at my place at around 6:15 a.m.: Sam, my adult male veiled is doing his "hot yoga" exercises in front of his heat lamp, Ziggy my Panther is having breakfast, Tito my Jackson's is doing head jerks at the female Deremenis, Jewel, who is a few feet away and the Fisher's, Bobby and Becky, are starting out on their morning patrol.

By 4 p.m. they're all back in their free range sleeping spots and are either out cold or watching TV.

Perfect kids.;)

What time does it start to get dark where you live?
Is he near a window?

When they see it getting dark outside, they will want to go to sleep, regardles
of the cage lights being on.
He may also not yet have adjust to his new home climate.

Ahh, this thread just reminded me I have to change the timer for bed time
lights out. :D
All my guyz can see the windows and tell if it really IS bedtime or not

I had the lights set to go on at 8pm and off at 8pm in August and September just after I got my Panther. I noticed that he was settling in to bed an hour or two before the lights were to go out. So what I did was adjust the lights slowly to closer match his schedule. This not-so-coincidentally fell alongside the sun coming up and going down. So now I have the lights going on and off at 6:30am which he seems to get along with just fine.

My Jackson also goes to sleep around 6:30 and lights off aren't until 8:30..but he does it consistently, so i don't worry about it.

You guys might as well turn off your lights earlier, as they're not doing a lot of good if your chameleon is curled up somewhere trying to sleep. Save yourselves some bucks in electricity ;)

^Thinking the same thing, but in my case if i make 6:30 lights out, then he may go to sleep at 4:30!

Seems like some chams like to get comfortable well before it gets dark, which kinda makes sense if you think about it. In the wild they need to find a nice safe secure spot and make sure it's safe well before it actually gets dark to make sure no predators can find them.

Back
Top Bottom