Dubias Breeding In BioActive?

The Wild One

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm starting to lean towards free ranging Codas food in her new cage but the dubias just find more places to hide, eventually she finds them but i'm wondering if you can breed the dubias in the cage itself, they don't bite or anything so i would guess that it wouldn't harm her in her sleep. Also It would be as close to the real environment that I could get in terms or hunting right? What do y'all think?

I'm starting to lean towards free ranging Codas food in her new cage but the dubias just find more places to hide, eventually she finds them but i'm wondering if you can breed the dubias in the cage itself, they don't bite or anything so i would guess that it wouldn't harm her in her sleep. Also It would be as close to the real environment that I could get in terms or hunting right? What do y'all think?
I mean I would worry about her pinging at a dubia and then maybe accidently eating some substrate as well with the dubia.

Yup I've done this, I've even had some banded crickets live in my enclosures. Nice thing is cham enclosures don't get that warm so the dubia don't populate out of control. They also act as extra CuC. In large numbers roaches depending on species will terrorize some plants, but the dubia never seemed to bother them. Hissers would make great natural additions as they're native to Madagascar, but there's a chance they will nibble some plants.

Well my thought was maybe your female would go to the bottom bc shes egg laying or whatever and sees some dubia, eats them, but then accidently gets some substarte with the dubia. Its a good idea because they wouldnt eat the plants and climb or bite. Its up to you its not a huge risk but its one i wouldnt take

Well my thought was maybe your female would go to the bottom bc shes egg laying or whatever and sees some dubia, eats them, but then accidently gets some substarte with the dubia. Its a good idea because they wouldnt eat the plants and climb or bite. Its up to you its not a huge risk but its one i wouldnt take
Well doesn't a healthy cham not typically get impacted? I get your point but I don't know if it would affect her that much

I guess my worry would be, what happens when they do start breeding and the tiny nymphs climb through the cracks and get out of the enclosure?
ah yes good point nymphs can be like less then than 1/4", easy for them to get out especially if you cant see them.

I guess my worry would be, what happens when they do start breeding and the tiny nymphs climb through the cracks and get out of the enclosure?

I had probably 30+ in some reptibreeze enclosures for over a year and saw only a few nymphs in that time. The temps, especially lower where they hang out during the day, are so low the breeding is very slow. I also don't think they'd leave the cage. Or sneak through the cracks so easily. Most roaches will stay around where they're comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom