dubia colony

yoshi9

I am trying to start a dubia colony I have about 30, 1" roaches and other vary in size grand total maybe 80 roaches. I feed them daily fresh frutis and veggies, offer water crystals, have a lot of egg crates and have a under tank heater. I guess my temps could be a little low since it is in the garage and it is kinda cold here in az not the tropical weather lol. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks

You are doing everything fine. I would suggest that if the setup is in a room with good ventilation, move it to somewhere else not near a window or even in a cupboard to keep that heat in. You problem is only that they are not sexually mature yet :rolleyes: give it time

Once you see sexual dimorphism in the beetles (males will have long wings) then they will mate for you:D

Check the temps, don't guess if you want fast growth and reproduction. You can sex the nymphs before they reach adulthood. It is much easier when the roaches are adults because of obvious physical differences though.

Adding a protein source like crushed nuts or spirulina (not dog/cat/fish/poultry food.)

Check the temps, don't guess if you want fast growth and reproduction. You can sex the nymphs before they reach adulthood. It is much easier when the roaches are adults because of obvious physical differences though.

Adding a protein source like crushed nuts or spirulina (not dog/cat/fish/poultry food.)

How should I check the temps, I had a heat gun but I can't tell if its accurate or not:(

My advice is just to give them some time and be patient.

I keep mine at room temp in my lizard building- nights this time of year drop near 50, days 70-85+ depending on the month. They continue to produce all year, but slow down a lot during the winter.

I sort adults out to start new colonies when I feed juveniles out to the lizards. New colonies take several months to really get established and get producing- and that is starting with hundreds or thousands of adults (I use 50 gallon storage containers for housing colonies).

If you bought some roaches several weeks ago and are hoping to get rid of your cricket bill today- most likely it will take longer than that...

My advice is just to give them some time and be patient.

I keep mine at room temp in my lizard building- nights this time of year drop near 50, days 70-85+ depending on the month. They continue to produce all year, but slow down a lot during the winter.

I sort adults out to start new colonies when I feed juveniles out to the lizards. New colonies take several months to really get established and get producing- and that is starting with hundreds or thousands of adults (I use 50 gallon storage containers for housing colonies).

If you bought some roaches several weeks ago and are hoping to get rid of your cricket bill today- most likely it will take longer than that...
Lol ya I know it will take a little longer then a week or two to get it going :p

I have a colony buy my chameleon has no interest in them soo I have a colony for no reason ha

lmao me too, she ate about 6 in total in the last 4 months. I want to keep them going in case I get another cham/creature that will eat them. Maybe the local pet store will buy some.

yeah, I lucked out last week and got 55 near-adults for $20. Pretty good price and no shipping. When you order a "mixed lot" chances are, it will be mostly babies, depending on who you order from. I had a bad experience last time. :mad:

I like me pretty much. ;) what are you looking for? Right now I only have adult females, female sub adults, and 1/2" or smaller ones that I can sell. Why pay for adult dubia that might not be fresh when you can get sub females that will molt very soon? :) that's how I feel about it anyways.

I like me pretty much. ;) what are you looking for? Right now I only have adult females, female sub adults, and 1/2" or smaller ones that I can sell. Why pay for adult dubia that might not be fresh when you can get sub females that will molt very soon? :) that's how I feel about it anyways.

I agree and see what your saying, for me I would rather have already mature adults just to get some babies because i already have sub adults. How do you know if they are adult female i can tell the males? How do you know if they have molted or are about to molt?

Sorry to butt in but how can you sex younger Dubia? I have seen a difference in my roaches and have just assumed that the flatter ones are female and the rounder longer ones are male. Am I right?:confused:

Sorry to butt in but how can you sex younger Dubia? I have seen a difference in my roaches and have just assumed that the flatter ones are female and the rounder longer ones are male. Am I right?:confused:
No worries were all here to learn :) Im curious about it to.

Back
Top Bottom