Dubia Colony in Colorado

Nevermind the sticky notes. Going on vacation this weekend to the Mother land of Minnesota to watch my Vikings beat the Donkeys. Anyways I just use a 10 gallon terrarium heat pad underneath thick Rubbermaid. No issues and my colony seems to be producing. I had a lot of adult males to start but I've been feeding and tend to always try to find adult males to feed off first. You want to have a 1M/5F ratio. Hope this helps. View attachment 251229

Im just dying looking at that pic. Emergency numbers on the fridge, NOPE. Instead the poor house sitter has "please check on my bugs" with notes attached.

Im just dying looking at that pic. Emergency numbers on the fridge, NOPE. Instead the poor house sitter has "please check on my bugs" with notes attached.
There are sticky notes everywhere lmao you have no idea!!! It's my brother-in-law watching over all of my herps this weekend so he knows to call me immideatly if anything goes wrong. I have an ADT security system with all the bells and whistles to boot too. Not too worried lol

I too was looking into starting a colony this weekend, I haven't decided on what substrate to use. What works best?
I just use egg crates , nothing at the bottom it makes sorting them easier ! I also don't use a heat mat anymore and they still produce babies :) I keep them in the garage so it get hot during the day but also have a night time drop . I sort them every two months and always have tons !

I use a sterilite bin with CUC and cocofiber substrate. Bark rounds for hiding/climbing on. Yes to large holes in lid with screen. I have a 50wtt CHE hanging above it.

Maybe instead of dubia you want hissers instead! Maybe you wanna come get my whole hisser colony and take them home with you! I have lots of adults, babies, and inbetween that I'm looking to rehome since my cham won't eat them. I'm just feeding them at this point. It's bioactive with a CUC. Yes?! Lol

I use a sterilite bin with CUC and cocofiber substrate. Bark rounds for hiding/climbing on. Yes to large holes in lid with screen. I have a 50wtt CHE hanging above it.

Maybe instead of dubia you want hissers instead! Maybe you wanna come get my whole hisser colony and take them home with you! I have lots of adults, babies, and inbetween that I'm looking to rehome since my cham won't eat them. I'm just feeding them at this point. It's bioactive with a CUC. Yes?! Lol
Do hissers have wings? More specifically...do they fly?

Hmmmm you trying to get rid of a hisser colony huh. I mean if @AnamCara doesn't want it I’ll take it off your hands :smuggrin:

Here’s some crappy pics of my setup... the green bananas climb, fly, and need high humidity so they are the top shelf containers which have gasket seals. They are heated by the dubia bin which is directly below them on the 2nd shelf.

I have a storage container where we cut a hole in the lid, taped a screen on it and rhen put a large metal HVAC vent overtop. We put a lightbulb/heatlamp ontop of the HVAC vent which keeps it from touching or melting the plastic. I think we are using 75W incandescent bulbs

B608CCC6-1B1A-48F7-A79A-7ACAA2C7DC49.jpeg

F02B86F4-0CF8-4CBA-A5C9-AB6B5C9416D4.jpeg

Hmmmm you trying to get rid of a hisser colony huh. I mean if @AnamCara doesn't want it I’ll take it off your hands :smuggrin:
Exactly what i was thinking! How much would shipping cost? I would even pay. Lol.
Then he said they escape... Ew. Im not there yet. Dubias are it for now. Haha

Last edited:
Exactly what i was thinking! How much would shipping cost? I would even pay. Lol.
Then he said they escape... Ew. Im not there yet. Dubias are it for now. Haha
You just need a special bin that they can’t escape from. I have Halloween and regular hissers, I discovered Larry loves them so I want to get more :love: I still scream when they hiss at me but it’s ok I’ll get over it soon

You just need a special bin that they can’t escape from. I have Halloween and regular hissers, I discovered Larry loves them so I want to get more :love: I still scream when they hiss at me but it’s ok I’ll get over it soon

What the hell is wrong with me that I sorta kinda want to try them.... but I am NOT a fan of roaches so the fact that they climb walls and are huge, scares me. I saw only the shiloutte of one of James' climbing around its bin from the next room over and it was like the stabby shower scene straight out of a horror movie. Nope nope nope nope.

I wish I were local. No better time to get over a fear! Lol.

Even the dubias give me the heebies. But I have come a long way since I first got my cham. I used to say that my fear is her loss. Lol
Yes I have definitely noticed that my fear of roaches has gotten better. However I'm not to the point where I'm going to let them crawl on my face and stuff like @jamest0o0 and @JoXie411 probably do with their pet roaches.

Back
Top Bottom