Drosophilia hyde (fruit flys)

Has anyone used those plastic scrubby thing that everyone uses instead of a washcloth? If you remove the string, it becomes a long onion bag netting. And they are usually only 99 cents. You can cut it into 5 or more pieces.

No one likes a smart ass brad:) lol just want to make sure i'm doing it right. In the uk our names for things are completely different. It's hard to find all the things you named so if I can have a substitute which is lying around i'd rather use that.

I got the baby food
Yeast
The cyder Vinegar
Oats

Gonna sort out the containers tomorrow, is that sounding ok so far?

Has anyone used those plastic scrubby thing that everyone uses instead of a washcloth? If you remove the string, it becomes a long onion bag netting. And they are usually only 99 cents. You can cut it into 5 or more pieces.

Yes, I have. Works fairly well, though not my favourite.

No one likes a smart ass brad:) lol just want to make sure i'm doing it right. In the uk our names for things are completely different. It's hard to find all the things you named so if I can have a substitute which is lying around i'd rather use that.

I got the baby food
Yeast
The cyder Vinegar
Oats

Gonna sort out the containers tomorrow, is that sounding ok so far?

You are going to be the master fruit fly maker :)

Speaking of masters.

I'm very good at fishing and catching & hooking my own bait.

I know that's why my wife calls me a master...........Ummmm wait that's for a different thread....and probably site. :eek: :D

Last edited:
tryme, thank you for this thread. This thread has been most helpful in knowing how to set up my FF husbandry for my babies who will hatch in about 3 months. Thank you all who chimed in with directions/suggestions. I have a notebook (good idea for everyone actually) with tabs, and have printed off directions to put in it so in 3 months I don't have to ask the same questions all over again! LOL All over again........

Havent had a chance to read the thread - but I'll add what's worked for me. Start with good lines of flies (the company I've used most is flyculture.com, but amost any are great.)

I experimented a few times to see what worked, and what didn't. I took some 32 oz containers, with vented lids. I mixed some potato flakes (cheapest I could find), added a tad of vinegar, and sprinkled yeast on top. Then, I stuck some aspen shreds, or some other "thing" for them to climb on (clean and sanitized, of course). I added a bunch of flies, and it worked.

I usually got such good production out of this stuff that the media was used up before any mold set in. I'd also mix in some herptivite into the media - after all, it's just potatos.

You can buy the plastic containers at a deli, use spaghetti sauce jars, pickle jars, tall glad containers, applesauce jars. Just don't use the lids, rubberband screen on the top.

Let me just add that I use baby food fruits and baby cereal oats figuring that the nutritional values are greater for the chams........kinda like gutloading crickets.

Kevin

actually, you reminded me. I used to mix potato flakes with baby cereal after my daughter stopped eating it. Works very well, and is't expensive at all for the quantities we'd use it for.

Containers

Any of these.

containers.jpg

Or junkier.....or more disposable, such as deli cups, gladware......or sturdier like mason jars, mayonaise jars, etc.

You can use anything.......choices are endless.

Kevin

It's a start. You'll be able to fine tune it later. You might only need to start a new culture every 2 weeks or you might need 3 a week. It'll just depends on how much you're feeding off......you'll figure it out once you get started.

Kevin

ok thanks for the replies man. The culture is arriving tomorrow so i'll see how it goes dude

ok thanks for the replies man. The culture is arriving tomorrow so i'll see how it goes dude

Keep us posted, ok? I have a couple of months to go before I need fruit flies and it would be nice to see someone else's success.

Back
Top Bottom