Drosophilia hyde (fruit flys)

I think you would be foolish not to try the FF thing and then decide for yourself. You won't be spending money on any special items. For $5 you could find out if it's worth it for you.

Kevin

Are these FF the ones that don't fly? I have a bunch of babies due in 3 months and after hearing about Juliars expenses I am VERY interested in this endeavor. Especially since I have the space and the time.

Let us know how it goes:) I think I will deff give it a go if I can find all those items. Brand names often differ here in the UK.

Yes they are flightless FF's you can order them from many places on the web. I believe a few sponsors here carry them. They can get you a good starter colony.

I wouldn't worry about the brands. Any of the stage 1 or baby foods for the youngest babies should still work. Make sure to get a fruit of some sort. Plum or banana seem to work well. As for the cereal, I think any baby single grain oat cereal should work.

Keep us posted,
Kevin

Sounds like you've got all the answers you needed. I'll just reiterate that it is indeed worth breeding flightless fruit flies. You can make the cultures as big or as small as suits your needs. When I was only feeding mantids, I made the containers smaller and refreshed as needed. When feeding baby chams, I had 4 or 5 times as many cultures going at any time, and bigger ones too.

Which site?

I usually just use whatever kitchen containers that I have laying around.
Then I put bridal veil, pantyhose, or coffee filters across the top with rubber bands or trap them under a lid that I've cut the middle out of.

Kevin

ya dont pay for containers
I use glass jars (reusable thousands of times with just a quick wash between cultures), pieces of onion bag or bits of plastic dish scrubby on the inside (to give them something to walk and lay eggs on in addition to the sides of the jars), and an old sheet or old pantyhose stockings for "lids"
total cost per culture container: zero
old bananas, applesauce, vinegar and cheap bran form the basis of the medium.

one thing to remember is that D. hydei goes sterile at high temps. You don't want anything higher then 80'F

I culture my hydei exactly like this and have excellent results.

What about some mesh of some sort. Don't want to over complecate things i've got some stuff at my house which should work.

Yes any mesh will do. Whatever you've got on hand. Try different things. Even shredded paper or coffee filters will do - though plastic stuff doesnt break down as quickly.

Back
Top Bottom