Drop Off Fecal Test?

bbyoda

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I want to get a fecal test done for baby Yoda before I move him to his adult enclosure. I'm in Orlando and gave Dr. Bruce's office a call and they said they don't do drop off fecal tests. My chameleon is really nervous, and I'm working on building trust with him so I'm trying to avoid handling him for now, so I was hoping to just drop off a sample to get that confirmed. It seems like Dr. Ivan Alfonso moved to a clinic (Affordable Pet Care in Four Corners) that doesn't see exotic animals.

Drop off fecals are pretty common in the feral cat colony world, so this is a little strange to me that it's not available for Chameleons. Anyone have experience or advice on this front, or up to date recommendations for central Florida / Orlando?

Thanks thanks!!

I believe it’s illegal here in Florida for vets to prescribe anything unless they have examined the animal. They risk their license if they do it. My vet insists on seeing my animal before doing a fecal too.
If the test is positive, you’d have to take your cham in to be seen anyhow to get medication to treat.

@jannb
407-275-7547

Thanks! I called Hiawassee Vet Clinic for Dr. Alfonso this morning and was told that he's at a new clinic, Affordable Pet Care. I called them and they confirmed he works there now but they don't see exotic animals and couldn't help. Is the number you shared his direct number?

I believe it’s illegal here in Florida for vets to prescribe anything unless they have examined the animal. They risk their license if they do it. My vet insists on seeing my animal before doing a fecal too.
If the test is positive, you’d have to take your cham in to be seen anyhow to get medication to treat.

Ah, thanks for this information. I'm used to getting prescriptions over the phone and medication from all my cat lady friends for the cats I foster or the colony I manage, so this is new to me. I will do my best to get an appointment and get a check up going for Yoda. Just gotta track down Dr. Alfonso if I can!!

@jannb vet recommendations for central FL/Orlando?

There’s an excellent vet in Orlando that’s been seeing chameleons for many years.
Dr. Ivan Alfonso 407-275-7547

If you can’t see Dr. Alfonso right away, then I’d recommend Dr. Bruce. He’s been seeing chameleons for a long time, too.

That’s correct. Once the vets sees you and you get a good relationship built with your vet then they will do things like that for you as long as they are seeing your animal once a year.

Ah, thanks for this information. I'm used to getting prescriptions over the phone and medication from all my cat lady friends for the cats I foster or the colony I manage, so this is new to me. I will do my best to get an appointment and get a check up going for Yoda. Just gotta track down Dr. Alfonso if I can!!
Interesting. You must know of an awesome vet who cares about the kitties. Maybe there’s an exemption for ferals.

Interesting. You must know of an awesome vet who cares about the kitties. Maybe there’s an exemption for ferals.

Yes, I think you're right that there's some leniency built in for ferals. Vets often give reduced or pro bono service for them through TNR programs. Plus it's just hard to trap them after the first time. :) Some vets are able to be more generous than others! And @jannb makes a good point that once you're an established customer, vets are able to do more for you too. Thanks to you both for the gut check and perspective shift.

Yes, I think you're right that there's some leniency built in for ferals. Vets often give reduced or pro bono service for them through TNR programs. Plus it's just hard to trap them after the first time. :) Some vets are able to be more generous than others! And @jannb makes a good point that once you're an established customer, vets are able to do more for you too. Thanks to you both for the gut check and perspective shift.

The vets I listed will want to see the animal first! I know allot of vets, especially in FL, since I lived there for 20 years and none are going to do a fecals and give you meds without seeing the animal. It’s the law and they are not going to risk losing their medical license.

Hi @jannb I made an appointment with Dr. Bruce for this Friday! Excited to get that clean bill of health.

Unfortunately the number you shared for Dr. Alfonso is no longer in service, and the new clinic that he works at doesn't see exotic animals. Not sure if you have a directly line of communication to him to see if he's still practicing somewhere else that does see reptiles. Seems a shame to lose a Chameleon vet just because he moved to a new clinic.

Hi @jannb I made an appointment with Dr. Bruce for this Friday! Excited to get that clean bill of health.

Unfortunately the number you shared for Dr. Alfonso is no longer in service, and the new clinic that he works at doesn't see exotic animals. Not sure if you have a directly line of communication to him to see if he's still practicing somewhere else that does see reptiles. Seems a shame to lose a Chameleon vet just because he moved to a new clinic.

Let me ask him.

Back
Top Bottom