DREMEL: I think I may have just joined the 20th (not 21st) century

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
I don't have a dremel, so I just used a hand nipper.
Well, that situation has been remedied. I bought one this week because it was either that or buy a whole new steel door (long story).

I've watched so many YT vids I'm overloaded. Most appear to have been made by morons. (Yeah, I know... that describes half of YT... 🤪 )

I checked the archives, and it appears quite a few folks here have got them. So I'm looking for suggestions on what's worth or not worth getting in the way of extras. THX.

I happened to be at a BBS (Big Box Store) today, and—on impulse—picked up the set of 4 collets (Catalog Number 4485) for $10. I bought them on the gun/condom theory:

Better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

All the different accessories & kits got very confusing & overwhelming 🤪, so when I got home, I looked up their online catalog to see if it made things any clearer.... It didn't. 🤨

So after buying the set of different sized collets, this is what I found in the catalog:

ROTARY TOOL ACCESSORIES​

NEW UNIVERSAL SHANK STANDARD​

NO MORE HUNTING FOR THE RIGHT COLLET
Over the next year, all Dremel rotary accessories are transitioning
to a 1/8" shank standard. This means never having to search for the
right collet again. Collet 480 will soon work for all rotary accessories.
Swell. 🤦‍♂️

Mad Looney Tunes GIF by MOODMAN

All of the accessories (except drill bits) that came with the Dremel are 1/8", and it came with both an 1/8" collet and keyless chuck (and the flex shaft, if that's the same as the wand). Getting the additional collets was an impulse, but thinking it over (since I posted above), I'm covered in the event I ever find 3rd party aftermarket accessories. I'll probably think of other uses for the additional collets as well.

I was at a used tool shop today, and they actually had some odd size rotary tool fiddly bits. Nothing I could use ATM, but the prices on everything were such that I expect I'll be visiting that place in the future.

Any suggestions on other stuff that might be worthwhile having?

Back
Top Bottom